Magic the Gathering

~ General comments and discussion.

Moderator: Staff

Post Reply
Nymphsong
Explorer
Posts: 370
Joined: Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:14 pm

Magic the Gathering

Post by Nymphsong » Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:32 pm

Anyone here still play this old card game?

I do still play and wanted to make a forum that we can discuss cards, strategies, combos, etc.

Thanks,
Nymphsong
Nymphsong

Dauthi
Traveler
Posts: 164
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:34 pm

Re: Magic the Gathering

Post by Dauthi » Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:54 am

I don't play anymore because its way to expensive. lol

but I play allot of Hearthstone. Its a simpler card game produced by Blizzard that is free to play.

User avatar
Jokingjoe
Second Centurion
Posts: 1204
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:35 pm
Location: New Bern, NC
Contact:

Re: Magic the Gathering

Post by Jokingjoe » Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:59 am

As I mentioned the other night--while I still play, I don't actively follow the new sets. Most of my cards are vintage. I have a handful of beta and unlimited cards, but most are revised through mirage with a handful of interesting little singles I've picked up while browing cards shops.

I don't play DCI or any sanctioned tournaments, just some games with old friends a few times a year. Two or three of them still play the new stuff and I've seen some very nasty combinations and stiff defenses. Some of these newer cards mixed in with the older cards can be extremely potent. I really need to invest in some of these Snapcasters..they seem pretty awesome. Shivan Dragons are chumps compared to some of these hellkites being played today. Banefire just makes me sad. What do you mean I can't counter or prevent it?

Nymphsong
Explorer
Posts: 370
Joined: Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:14 pm

Re: Magic the Gathering

Post by Nymphsong » Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:21 am

Snapcaster Mage is a pretty nasty card!

I currently help design some of the more Standard play decks my friends take to FNM.

Dauthi, that was the original reason I left the game...the cost. Now I make enough where a 50 bucks a month is not a problem...to pop on some good stuff...

Nymphsong
Nymphsong

User avatar
Kaz
Administrator
Posts: 2614
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:27 am
Location: The Vinyards of Fernabergia
Tempers Ball Posts: 3873
Tempers Ball/Braggarts Hall Alt: Kaz
Contact:

Re: Magic the Gathering

Post by Kaz » Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:00 pm

Once the artwork is all done, would you guys buy a set of Monarchy cards if I released them?
Programming is 10% science, 25% ingenuity and 65% getting the ingenuity to work with the science
Wars of Tonan (Monarchy Inspired Miniatures)
Armatures for Sculpting Miniatures

User avatar
Jokingjoe
Second Centurion
Posts: 1204
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:35 pm
Location: New Bern, NC
Contact:

Re: Magic the Gathering

Post by Jokingjoe » Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:45 pm

Tell me more about these Monarchy cards.

User avatar
Kaz
Administrator
Posts: 2614
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:27 am
Location: The Vinyards of Fernabergia
Tempers Ball Posts: 3873
Tempers Ball/Braggarts Hall Alt: Kaz
Contact:

Re: Magic the Gathering

Post by Kaz » Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:15 am

There's not a lot to tell at the moment, we'd need to design a card-based game first, and you guys could help with that.

For now the basis of the artwork is all we've got, but we're in the final stretch now as drawing are being done that'll bring us to 9/10 races done. I've seen them all printed as postcards, and they look REALLY nice.

Human
134 136 135 133 188

Elven
128 125 129 127 126

Goblin
189 190 132 130 131

Droben
236 237 235 238

Vampire
178 179 177 180 191

Dwarven
234 233 231 232

[edit] damn they look good all together on one page :)
Programming is 10% science, 25% ingenuity and 65% getting the ingenuity to work with the science
Wars of Tonan (Monarchy Inspired Miniatures)
Armatures for Sculpting Miniatures

Nymphsong
Explorer
Posts: 370
Joined: Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:14 pm

Re: Magic the Gathering

Post by Nymphsong » Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:17 am

I'm game. ;)

I actually like the postcard idea just as much as the card "game" idea...or just as collectibles...

Will we have a Venus?

Nymphsong
Nymphsong

User avatar
Kaz
Administrator
Posts: 2614
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:27 am
Location: The Vinyards of Fernabergia
Tempers Ball Posts: 3873
Tempers Ball/Braggarts Hall Alt: Kaz
Contact:

Re: Magic the Gathering

Post by Kaz » Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:23 am

There's already a Venus sketch, not in colour though

Venus
82

Torkano
196

Some of the Gods
137 192 169 193 194 195
Programming is 10% science, 25% ingenuity and 65% getting the ingenuity to work with the science
Wars of Tonan (Monarchy Inspired Miniatures)
Armatures for Sculpting Miniatures

belin
Newbling
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:59 am

Re: Magic the Gathering

Post by belin » Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:55 pm

Ya I still play MTG. No tourneys or anything just with old friends. Games pretty mixed a few folk who just use old cards, people like me who use a mix of old and a few packs of newer cards, and a few some crazy people who spend tons on cards and have combos that make me shiver in terror and confusion.

Personally don't think I'd play a monarchy card game, mostly because I have enough trouble getting people together for games everyone already plays like settlers or magic.

If you're interested in getting a good gage on the viability, wait till you have more art work done, flush out a basic concept and maybe get a kick starter for it (there's a few games on kickstarter already). It will give you a pretty good idea of how much interest there is, and give you some pre-sales etc. Just avoid the collectible card game format, wotc (or whoever bought them out) has a very solid patent on the format and is pretty litigious.

Nymphsong
Explorer
Posts: 370
Joined: Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:14 pm

Re: Magic the Gathering

Post by Nymphsong » Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:41 pm

Well, I guess I can kick around some ideas at this point,

My favorite Land: Volrath's Stronghold from Tempest
My favorite Creature: Bottle Gnomes from Tempest (followed closely by Birds of Paradise)
My favorite Enchantment: Necropotence
My favorite Sorcery: Hymn to Taurach (Wolf Picture)
My favorite Instant/Interrupt: Force of Will
My favorite Artifact: Ivory Tower

Did I get the major ones...?

I will probably start posting decks later...

Nymph
Nymphsong

User avatar
Jokingjoe
Second Centurion
Posts: 1204
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:35 pm
Location: New Bern, NC
Contact:

Re: Magic the Gathering

Post by Jokingjoe » Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:35 am

My favorite land: Mishra's Factory (You'd be amazed at how many games I've won with manlands)
Favorite Creature: Vodalian Knight from Fallen Empires--just pretty :)
Fave enchant: Control Magic--my, that's a nice creature you have there!
Fav Sorcery: Phthisis (in my circle, called 'syphilis' ;) )
Fav instant/interrupt-more of a fav combo--my brother loved to take Weatherseed Treefolk, berserk them, and then fling them after the fight.
Fav Artifact: meh=never really a heavy artifact player. I think Sol Ring was the only thing I played in almost every deck.

Nymphsong
Explorer
Posts: 370
Joined: Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:14 pm

Re: Magic the Gathering

Post by Nymphsong » Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:39 am

Jokingjoe wrote:My favorite land: Mishra's Factory (You'd be amazed at how many games I've won with manlands)
And the fact that they are worth about $50/pop on the internet. I think I like the Snow Version the best.

Great card though...especially after a Wrath of God. :)
Nymphsong

Nymphsong
Explorer
Posts: 370
Joined: Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:14 pm

Re: Magic the Gathering

Post by Nymphsong » Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:16 pm

So, I am preparing a deck right now for Friday Night Magic in my local D.C. area. Anyone who has any recommendations feel free to chime in and let me know if it makes sense to them. If you are unfamiliar with "Standard" block play, well I think this deck could still hold its own in a "friendly" group atmosphere;

Lands: (23)
8xForest
6xMountain
4xStomping Ground
4xTemple of Abandon
1xNykthos, Shrine to Nix

Planeswalkers: (3)
3xDomri Rade

Creatures: (23)
4xElvish Mystic
4xCourser of Kruphix
4xFanatic of Xenagos
3xMistcutter Hydra
3xStormbreath Dragon
2xPolis Crusher
1xPolukranos, World Eater
1xXenagos, God of Revels
1xNylea, God of the Hunt

Other: (11)
4xMagma Jet
3xClan Defiance
2xDestructive Revelry
1xGround Assault
1xBow of Nylea

Sideboard: (15)
4xSkylasher
2xSavage Summoning
2xFade into Antiquity
1xBow of Nylea
1xPolis Crusher
1xVolcanic Geyser
1xGround Assault
1xStormbreath Dragon
1xPolukranos, World Eater
1xDestructive Revelry
Nymphsong

User avatar
Carlos Danger
Wayfarer
Posts: 85
Joined: Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:48 am

Re: Magic the Gathering

Post by Carlos Danger » Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:29 am

I am like Joe on this. I love the game, but most of the people I played with stop 15 years ago. I collected mostly from Revised through mirage with a few packs I have bought in between. I tried to just start collecting about 6 years ago but keep getting sidetracked and then the kids were born and most of my money went there.

I will look up the cards though and see what the deck is about, I like all the combinations that Magic provides though I prefer have the cards in front of me instead of something like MTG online.
TRR - The Red Ranks
Figurehead Extraordinaire
PM for pics

Post Reply

Return to “Comments”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests