roll call!

~ OOC forums for the Guilds version of the Classic game.
Please be courteous while posting and observe the forum rules.

Moderators: Staff, Game Staff

User avatar
Kaz
Administrator
Posts: 2614
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:27 am
Location: The Vinyards of Fernabergia
Tempers Ball Posts: 3873
Tempers Ball/Braggarts Hall Alt: Kaz
Contact:

Re: roll call!

Post by Kaz » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:15 pm

Tell you what, create where you feel you should.

I am more than happy to move an entire guild of players between faith if I have to. When I say move, I mean building-for-building, turn-for-turn. The only change will be the god and kingdom number.
Programming is 10% science, 25% ingenuity and 65% getting the ingenuity to work with the science
Wars of Tonan (Monarchy Inspired Miniatures)
Armatures for Sculpting Miniatures

User avatar
Gili
Community Admin
Posts: 738
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:00 am
Location: Northampton, England

Re: roll call!

Post by Gili » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:30 pm

Cool. Count us for Angelique. I'll knock up a light hearted RP/intro thread tomorrow when my brain isn't hurting.
"Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Contactable on gtalk & msn via sshagent @ gmail . com

User avatar
Darnivan
Traveler
Posts: 153
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:55 am

Re: roll call!

Post by Darnivan » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:11 pm

Count me in for an Angelique guild, I've always been an angie ever since like '99.

User avatar
Gili
Community Admin
Posts: 738
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:00 am
Location: Northampton, England

Re: roll call!

Post by Gili » Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:47 am

Anyone planning on starting a Barnabas or Leto guild? Would be nice to know there will be people to fight :)
"Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Contactable on gtalk & msn via sshagent @ gmail . com

User avatar
Mickal Redwater
Explorer
Posts: 388
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:29 pm
Location: Middle of the Desert
Contact:

Re: roll call!

Post by Mickal Redwater » Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:33 pm

I'll come back for this :) I'll go wherever MoP goes, which seems to be with Nagash... sounds good to me!
Lancelot: Would it not be a comfort, just for a time, to believe that we create our own Heavens, and our own Hells?
FEL forever

kenchan
Lost Soul
Posts: 13
Joined: Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:14 pm

Re: roll call!

Post by kenchan » Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:40 pm

Hmm might give it a go. But need to relearn this game.

Which guilds/faith is noob friendly?

User avatar
Igneous
Wayfarer
Posts: 142
Joined: Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:33 pm

Re: roll call!

Post by Igneous » Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:13 am

This all sounds rather Chaotic. I'm in. I'll be creating at least one Leto kingdom for you all to smash around for a bit.

~WheEeEeEeEeEeEeEeEeEeEeEeEeEeEeEeEeEe!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!~

MF Mad Flame

Fireslash
First Centurion
Posts: 155
Joined: Sun Oct 11, 2009 3:40 am
Contact:

Re: roll call!

Post by Fireslash » Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:19 am

I'll probably make a kingdom and see what happens. Super busy right now.

~Fire

User avatar
Stee Jans
Wayfarer
Posts: 86
Joined: Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:55 pm

Re: roll call!

Post by Stee Jans » Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:42 am

I could see myself starting up a kingdom if guilds came back.
The Red Ranks
Bringing gravitas to dick jokes since 2013

User avatar
SatreFo
Lost Soul
Posts: 44
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 6:12 am

Re: roll call!

Post by SatreFo » Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:45 am

Howdy!
A FoC

User avatar
Gili
Community Admin
Posts: 738
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:00 am
Location: Northampton, England

Re: roll call!

Post by Gili » Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:35 am

Stee Jans wrote:I could see myself starting up a kingdom if guilds came back.
The guilds mechanism will be in place, think the game goes live Saturday
"Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Contactable on gtalk & msn via sshagent @ gmail . com

User avatar
Tara
Indecisive Wenchie
Posts: 375
Joined: Thu Oct 29, 2009 5:11 am
Location: ..the slippery slope..~>
Contact:

Re: roll call!

Post by Tara » Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:47 pm

I wouldn't have had a preference for a start date if I'd seen this in time anyway. Saturday's good for this wenchie!

As for Faith, like Mav said I've played and/or gm'd in all faiths so wherever.
Can we be of no faith to start, see what's needed & pick? Could help or go along w/ some people's stories I'm sure. Finding our way again & all that... (just saw where ya'd move a guild if needed, same difference then, thanks)

Dauthi's gobbie guild go for Red?
Mav, do you wanna play or GM anyway?

And some NPCs Kaz?


.... you know, all we need is a few really bored kids in school....those were the days lol!
"...you like havin insides? Image 'cuz those are gonna be outsides!"
TRR!
cha-cha-cha!

User avatar
Kaz
Administrator
Posts: 2614
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:27 am
Location: The Vinyards of Fernabergia
Tempers Ball Posts: 3873
Tempers Ball/Braggarts Hall Alt: Kaz
Contact:

Re: roll call!

Post by Kaz » Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:38 pm

I don't have time to code in a no faith option, that'd be a fair bit of work to do.

I'm more than happy to move kingdoms between faiths if required. When I say move, I mean turn-for-turn, building-for-building.

NPC's will probably be used, everyone should check out the `deciding on settings` thread and post an opinion. Opinions on NPC's are currently mixed, although those that are not sure, seem happy with smaller domination sized NPC's.

http://monarchygame.com/boards/viewtopi ... =66&t=1372

Ideally I'd have liked to have finished putting together a selection of 20 or so character-based storyline NPC's per faith, and made 3 NPC guilds with full on storyline charters, but alas time hasn't allowed, and i'm not sure when it will.
Programming is 10% science, 25% ingenuity and 65% getting the ingenuity to work with the science
Wars of Tonan (Monarchy Inspired Miniatures)
Armatures for Sculpting Miniatures

User avatar
Maverick
Explorer
Posts: 458
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 1:28 am

Re: roll call!

Post by Maverick » Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:11 pm

Tara,

Not sure what I am doing. I will be clicking 3 though, so I guess you can say Barnie will have 2 kingdoms. Based on the storyline I am pretty sure that Maverick will not exist, at least to start.

(edit)

Kaz,

If you want some ideas for characters/guilds, I could provide. I always thought NPC's should be based on old time players. Could do the same with the NPC guilds.
Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

http://www.Flapship.com

User avatar
Kaz
Administrator
Posts: 2614
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:27 am
Location: The Vinyards of Fernabergia
Tempers Ball Posts: 3873
Tempers Ball/Braggarts Hall Alt: Kaz
Contact:

Re: roll call!

Post by Kaz » Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:34 pm

Mav, someone else suggested basing NPC's on old players and I pointed out why that can't happen.

Once we have named NPC's they'd be roleplayed, maybe even the accounts would be registered to enable some form of NPC account switch functionality that I'm working on. You could say, well just dont let them be roleplayed, but RP is the primary reason for wanting named NPC's int he first place. In game, generic names work perfectly well.

Basically, by using an old players name, the player loses their identity and can't ever return as themselves, even if they wanted to. If they did return, and I gave them back the identity, they'd have to live with the possibility of roleplay posts (that cant really be deleted) in their name, that they didn't post. They'd have to live with other people possibly redefining the character, maybe even more so that they ever did.

There's just too much that could go wrong with creating a load of NPC's based on other people.
Programming is 10% science, 25% ingenuity and 65% getting the ingenuity to work with the science
Wars of Tonan (Monarchy Inspired Miniatures)
Armatures for Sculpting Miniatures

User avatar
Maverick
Explorer
Posts: 458
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 1:28 am

Re: roll call!

Post by Maverick » Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:44 pm

Understandable.

If you want I can create some barnabas ones with back stories. Also you have my permission to use any of my old guilds, like RC, that would never return.
Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

http://www.Flapship.com

Rob
Lost Soul
Posts: 22
Joined: Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:30 am
Location: Ohio

Re: roll call!

Post by Rob » Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:50 am

Is there gonna be any Leto guilds??
-Rob
I'm back, I think
RoT

Dauthi
Traveler
Posts: 164
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:34 pm

Re: roll call!

Post by Dauthi » Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:27 am

Kaz,

I know this is kinda late in the "game design" side of things, but maybe something you consider for a later re-design to make it easier on you.

Instead of having each realm have a individual number for each faith IE 300001, 500001, 700001 or what ever, remove the faith based numbers.

So the first person to join would be number 1, the 2nd would be number 2 so on so forth. Then make the faith a seperate column in the table database. This would allow a player to die, convert and still keep the same kingdom number. And could add an interesting aspect to Roleplay by saying if you convert to anothe faith(and not just delete and start a new kingdom), you faith based attacks(sorcery) are weaker then others initially but over time(proving yourself to your new god) the get stronger till one day your faith is at 100%.

Also makes it easier for you to move people/guilds from faith to faith to ballance things. And would make it easier to add a new faith, or remove a dieing faith.

Basicly treat faith like race were each god has its bonus and weakness, and over time can change as the role play changes.

Just an idea better suited for a later game re-design.


As for the Goblin guild..... I will be starting monday or tuesday most likly but will watch to see were the most guilds go and go were the weakest faith is. The reason for this is two fold. One. The play style of Goblins is not to play as a normal guild but to kill all non-goblins, so going to the faith that would suffer more by being attacked by goblins helps the over all gaming experience. two. The play style of goblins is not to play as a normal player but to kill, so starting after everyone else means I'll have more targets to attack. @(-.-@)

User avatar
Venus
Soul of Barnabas
Posts: 591
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:04 pm
Contact:

Re: roll call!

Post by Venus » Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:49 am

Well hell. I guess I have to play now since y'all want to kill Venus!!
That's mean by the way!!
Wow do i need a new signature or what. suggestions??
Fervent forever! CoM currently:>

User avatar
Kaz
Administrator
Posts: 2614
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:27 am
Location: The Vinyards of Fernabergia
Tempers Ball Posts: 3873
Tempers Ball/Braggarts Hall Alt: Kaz
Contact:

Re: roll call!

Post by Kaz » Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:39 pm

Dauthi,

As I see it, your kingdom number doesn't really have any roleplay equivalent. Taking the idea of dying and restarting the same kingdom in another faith, a change in number doesn't really make a roleplay difference. It's the Kingdom name that's the real 'RP' descriptor and that's easy enough to change along with the kingdom.

The number prefix works pretty well, to change it means a HUGE amount of recoding for something that doesn't really gain us all that much. It might be a side effect of a poorly designed database back end, but as I improve the back-end, I planned on keeping the numeric prefix idea. In some situations, the logic of our numbering scheme reduces database overheads.

for example.

Barnabas 30001 attacks Barnabas 30002, the script sees the numeric prefix, checks to see if the attack allies flag is set, then presents an error

Barnabas 00001 attacks Barnabas 00002, the script has to make a database call in order to establish the faith of kingdom 2. This database call basically pulls all the information from kingdom 2 which might then be wiped as not required, or just pulls the faith, and then makes a second call for the whole kingdom later if required. Either way, it's an extra database call for all interactions, without any real `obvious` benefit, as far as I can see.

Any of your ideas could theoretically be done without the kingdom number change. Take Decae's `Debacle` game for example, it changed your faith to the faith that killed you. That worked fine, and was using an even older code-base than we currently work with.

Earlier, when I mentioned the complexity of adding a faithless option, it was due to the fact that this number checking code is written throughout the script. The issue isn't that there is no room to expand on it, it's more that there's so much of if, missing it in one place, and leaving a tendril behind could cause consequences. I 'could' add a faithless option by going through every page of code, but would in addition have to add functionality to allow faithless kingdoms to attack other faithless kingdoms, while still ensuring that cannot happen between faith kingdoms.

Part of my 'recode-in-place' process that I'm doing, will be to move this intelligence to the database, so it can be called along with all the other basic configuration settings. Then I can add and remove gods at will.

Thanks for the idea, although it's not actually that difficult to switch kingdoms between faiths. If it turns out that I need to do a lot of switching, I'm sure I could build a tool to do it in a few minutes.

Anyway, enough typing, I'm supposed to be getting the game up and running :)
Programming is 10% science, 25% ingenuity and 65% getting the ingenuity to work with the science
Wars of Tonan (Monarchy Inspired Miniatures)
Armatures for Sculpting Miniatures

Post Reply

Return to “Guilds”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests