Memorial Days

~ Forum for to discuss the future and storyline direction of Tonan roleplay as a whole.

Moderators: Staff, Roleplay Staff

Darkspyre
Newbling

Memorial Days

Post by Darkspyre » Wed May 29, 2013 2:08 am

It has come to my attention that today is the anniversary of a loss of a great person and player, Tekmet. Thinking on this, I was thinking that it appropriate that we give this day and other days where we lost friends appropriate names for the Tonan Calendar.

Suggestions?

Gili
Community Admin

Re: Memorial Days

Post by Gili » Wed May 29, 2013 9:22 am

Wouldn't these be viewed like Saint days? So Tekmet Day would suffice?
"Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Contactable on gtalk & msn via sshagent @ gmail . com

Darkspyre
Newbling

Post by Darkspyre » Wed May 29, 2013 5:56 pm

I was thinking more along the lines of what would display on ancient calendars in celebration of heroes as well as the festivities that would take place.

For example, an Athenian festival for Aphrodite and Adonis
The Adonia (Ἀδώνια), or Adonic feasts, were ancient feasts instituted in honour of Aphrodite and Adonis, and observed with great solemnity among the Greeks, Egyptians, etc. It lasted two days, and was celebrated by women exclusively. On the first day, they brought into the streets statues of Adonis, which were laid out as corpses; and they observed all the rites customary at funerals, beating themselves and uttering lamentations, in imitation of the cries of Venus for the death of her paramour. The second day was spent in merriment and feasting; because Adonis was allowed to return to life, and spend half of the year with Aphrodite.
I know that this festival was for deities and not heroes, but it does give an example of a festival.

It may just be me but I feel that these fallen friends should be represented more in the role-play of Tonan.

Kaz
Administrator

Post by Kaz » Wed May 29, 2013 6:18 pm

It's a nice idea, my only fear is that you might well struggle to actually fulfill it.

Any roleplay connections to the various fallen friends holidays would need to be based around the old roleplay characters of those fallen friends. A day dedicated to drinking wouldn't work for a fallen friend who's character was teetotal for example.

I tried to do something similar several years ago in the Tonan Development forum, down in part 2 of the community forums. I wanted to try and come up with a decent idea of each of them so that I could eventually have miniatures created to immortalise each of our fallen. For the most part the threads received no posts.

The problem is that most people around (or at least this was true several years ago), don't recall the roleplay characters of the fallen. In some cases with have a bit of stuff we can refer to in the Maxim Archive or on Tempers Ball, but there isn't a lot.

As I said, I like the idea and would be more than happy to have them take up a more prominent memorial. Maybe we've a few more people around who remember the characters of the fallen, than we did a few years ago.
Programming is 10% science, 25% ingenuity and 65% getting the ingenuity to work with the science
Wars of Tonan (Monarchy Inspired Miniatures)
Armatures for Sculpting Miniatures

Darkspyre
Newbling

Post by Darkspyre » Wed May 29, 2013 8:07 pm

That is my hope as well. We have had an influx of older players with the re-opening of Guilds and I was hoping that some of these players may help.

Return to “Behind the Scenes”