~ Technical Help, Hardware, Programming, Computer Games etc

Moderator: Staff

Venus
Soul of Barnabas

my computer is a bitch

Post by Venus » Tue Dec 29, 2009 2:52 pm

ok so heres the history here

i have the vista install cd that came with my comp

it had a virus a few months ago, i couldnt seem to get my cordless mouse to work but the keyboard thats connected to the mouse worked fine
then ihad various other issues,

anyway i determined htat it had to be a virus

so i tried dumping it nad reinstalling vista

however, apparently its different to do that than to reinstall xp which ive done a thousand times

now it seems i have both vista operating systems on my computer and low space

the first time i did this, i had to redownload 1000 songs~

so ive been putting off fixing it cause i cant figure out how to get my songs from itunes or limewire to my zip thingy

well now, my computer monitor wont come on
its done this before, and yes ive checked hte monitor by hooking up a differnet one and thats not it

so erm
help?
i have lots of issues apparently.
Wow do i need a new signature or what. suggestions??
Fervent forever! CoM currently:>

Atticus Forghon
Newbling

Re: my computer is a bitch

Post by Atticus Forghon » Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:04 pm

When you say you have multiple installs of Vista on your machine it makes me think that when you reformatted instead of erasing the existing partition with Vista on it and reinstalling over it, you created a second partition and installed Vista on that new partition as well.

You should be able to Google how to transfer your iTunes but you could probably browse to where your music folder is on your computer (usually under My Music -> iTunes) and copy that over and then reinstall iTunes when reformatting is done and then import that folder in. Double check that before doing anything though.

Venus
Soul of Barnabas

Post by Venus » Fri Jan 01, 2010 10:44 pm

no, its not in that folder
my computer hates me, i just need to figure out how to put my music on my zip thingy, or whatever its called, then i can dump the computer.

Lady Maven
Teacher

Post by Lady Maven » Fri Jul 16, 2010 1:17 am

No, Atticus, that is just what Vista does when you reformat.

Venus, have you tried rolling back to an earlier date when everything was ok? You will still have to delete the second Vista, but it may help.
"By the nine arms of Vishnu, I swear I am not a Hindu!” - Apu

How did someone realize you could milk a cow? And what the hell did they think they were doing to the cow in the first place?!

Teanos
Within the Shadows

Post by Teanos » Fri Jul 16, 2010 5:04 am

ITunes issue -->

Open up Itunes, and what you have to do is go to Edit, Preferences, Import/Export I think. there's an option there, and it says to export to a format. Change it to mp3.

Basically highlight all of your songs, and export them to MP3. That will allow you to copy them whever you want.
I also set my Itunes up where everything is saved in a folder on a spare drive (So D:\Music) and I have it sorted by Artist, Album, etc. I just have to copy that whole Music folder. You can google on how to do that.

Vista Issues -->

It sounds like you didn't install it right. I've done a few hundred Vista/W7 installs. You have to select Advanced Install during the setup, and then DELETE all the partitions that come up. That is the only way to get all the space back and do a single install.

You can also google this.

As far as the virus and mouse/monitor not working - that doesn't sound like a virus. Sounds like a motherboard issue.

As far as restoring to a previous date - that won't fix your duplicate vista install issues. That has nothing to do with the OS, its saved on seperate sectors of the HD.

If you have no idea what you are doing, take it to the Geek Squad and just pay the money. Maybe if you flash some boob you can talk one of them into writing down/explaining how to do the process yourself :)
Even a ghost needs to breathe.

Lady Maven
Teacher

Post by Lady Maven » Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:23 am

Yuppers, Geek Squad ROCKS!! They are the fucking bomb diggity. And not really badly priced. Though for what they have done for my computer they could empty my bank accounts, slap my ass and call me Sally and I would STILL sing their praises.
"By the nine arms of Vishnu, I swear I am not a Hindu!” - Apu

How did someone realize you could milk a cow? And what the hell did they think they were doing to the cow in the first place?!

Venus
Soul of Barnabas

Post by Venus » Sat Jul 17, 2010 7:36 pm

yayy fixed itunes, now i just need to dump it and reformat.

no i understand most of what u said demmy, i think i can do that part, didn't realize i needed to advance install and delete!

not that id say no to geek squad lol. but first ill try and do it myself.

Return to “Technical Corner”