Game Time

~ OOC forums for the Guilds version of the Classic game.
Please be courteous while posting and observe the forum rules.

Moderators: Staff, Game Staff

Post Reply
User avatar
Tara
Indecisive Wenchie
Posts: 375
Joined: Thu Oct 29, 2009 5:11 am
Location: ..the slippery slope..~>
Contact:

Game Time

Post by Tara » Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:52 pm

Ok guys, I give - how do I change my gametime?
The time showing on our kingdom's main pg.
I dun want in BST anymore.
Is it "Bat Standard Time"?
Are we all Belgians now?
Did Rey BetSomeone'sTranvestite butler that he could make at least one of us ask about a time change?
What do we do?
"...you like havin insides? Image 'cuz those are gonna be outsides!"
TRR!
cha-cha-cha!

User avatar
Kaz
Administrator
Posts: 2614
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:27 am
Location: The Vinyards of Fernabergia
Tempers Ball Posts: 3873
Tempers Ball/Braggarts Hall Alt: Kaz
Contact:

Re: Guide to the new layout

Post by Kaz » Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:58 pm

BST is British Summer Time, which is the timezone of the server due to it's location in the UK. It'll remain BST until the clocks change back to GMT in the autumn.

[edit] I don't see what difference it make, but I've changed it to Coordinated Universal Time (UTC). Now it wont change time zone between summer time and winter time. I'm not sure it's a more useful time.

Think of it now as Universal Tonan Clock ;p or just Game Time. All it really effects is the time holiday mode starts and stops.
Programming is 10% science, 25% ingenuity and 65% getting the ingenuity to work with the science
Wars of Tonan (Monarchy Inspired Miniatures)
Armatures for Sculpting Miniatures

User avatar
Tara
Indecisive Wenchie
Posts: 375
Joined: Thu Oct 29, 2009 5:11 am
Location: ..the slippery slope..~>
Contact:

Re: Guide to the new layout

Post by Tara » Sat Jun 22, 2013 5:03 pm

*can't stop giggling about British Summer Time*
oh give me a minute.

ok. :D

I din't mean the name of the timezone, per se.

I meant to ask what screen do we use to change said time zone.

That had been an option at some point in our other lives. It was a selection when registering names, registering kdms and an option once ya had a kdm to play. In fact, there was a universal "game time" at some point, that was whatever Dustin said, prolly est, I don't remember now ;p
I dunno why it din't bother me before, maybe I'm paying more attention again (lookout lol) but in acct prefs or whatever, it was an option for any time zone. May we have that back please? =)

"BS Time" <- oh!, you over-the-ponders! :mrgreen:

I really thought we could select a timezone in the kdm prefs, each to our own zone.

So that when we logged-in, we see the time that it is "for ourselves" (PST, EST, GMT, whatever number of choices listed, etc) or the "game time" which was based on Greenwich Mean unless they got a wild hair.
Last edited by Tara on Sat Jun 22, 2013 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"...you like havin insides? Image 'cuz those are gonna be outsides!"
TRR!
cha-cha-cha!

User avatar
Kaz
Administrator
Posts: 2614
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:27 am
Location: The Vinyards of Fernabergia
Tempers Ball Posts: 3873
Tempers Ball/Braggarts Hall Alt: Kaz
Contact:

Re: Guide to the new layout

Post by Kaz » Sat Jun 22, 2013 5:20 pm

There's never been an option to change the timezone in the game, at least, never in any code version I've seen. Maybe you could back in the early Shareplay (or before) days when the code-base was written in Perl (I've not seen that code), but I've got the various code-bases from post-evernight return, and changing time-zone has never been an option.

It's not really something I've ever considered, and to implement it would involve changing the way some things are written. Otherwise the time on news, scribe etc could be different from the game time. It would just cause a lot of confusion. I might look into it one day, but to be honest it's not a priority, and frim my point of view having a single 'game' time makes it easier to reference things.

While I appreciate that 'back in the day' game-time might have been a US time zone (generally EST if I recall), you've now got a British developer and a server hosted in the UK.

If UTC (the official time for international web-based applications) isn't good enough, then I'll just switch back to the previous version that switched between GMT and BST depending on the time of year. UTC is the same as GMT (not BST) so as it currently stands the clock isn't 'local' for anyone at all.
Programming is 10% science, 25% ingenuity and 65% getting the ingenuity to work with the science
Wars of Tonan (Monarchy Inspired Miniatures)
Armatures for Sculpting Miniatures

User avatar
Kaz
Administrator
Posts: 2614
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:27 am
Location: The Vinyards of Fernabergia
Tempers Ball Posts: 3873
Tempers Ball/Braggarts Hall Alt: Kaz
Contact:

Re: Game Time

Post by Kaz » Sat Jun 22, 2013 5:21 pm

On another note, why is `British Summer Time` so funny?
Programming is 10% science, 25% ingenuity and 65% getting the ingenuity to work with the science
Wars of Tonan (Monarchy Inspired Miniatures)
Armatures for Sculpting Miniatures

User avatar
Tara
Indecisive Wenchie
Posts: 375
Joined: Thu Oct 29, 2009 5:11 am
Location: ..the slippery slope..~>
Contact:

Re: Game Time

Post by Tara » Sat Jun 22, 2013 5:30 pm

Because it just made me giggle a little, that's why, an' that's good stuff!

Really, am I thinkin back to perl'y stuff? no way man! lol maybe I listen ta G an' get some sleep soon lol

perl .... nuh-uh!?! lol

maybe it was just a board option, but damn I do remember picking our timezones - it's how I kept up with some people.

don't go changing anything like that for this wenchie, btw =) I just thought I was missing something somewhere along the way. ... unless ya wanna make a time option "wenchie-cabana-time"? 8-) I guess we're good, good sir =)
nini.
"...you like havin insides? Image 'cuz those are gonna be outsides!"
TRR!
cha-cha-cha!

User avatar
Darnivan
Traveler
Posts: 153
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:55 am

Re: Game Time

Post by Darnivan » Sat Jun 22, 2013 5:57 pm

I thought there was no summer in England...that is what I was always told.

User avatar
Tara
Indecisive Wenchie
Posts: 375
Joined: Thu Oct 29, 2009 5:11 am
Location: ..the slippery slope..~>
Contact:

Re: Game Time

Post by Tara » Sat Jun 22, 2013 6:13 pm

*points an' giggles* summer in England :!: :?:
Yea, what HE said!
:lol:
(oh, I know, an' yes, I did.)

When I ask for more smilie-thingies, is that a "new layout" thing or will we make another topic? Cuz mama needs some smilies.


(this silliness, I'm channeling Elfie. shhhh an' "mmmmm" with me. Gili, I see ya lurkin, dun be scurrred lol)
"...you like havin insides? Image 'cuz those are gonna be outsides!"
TRR!
cha-cha-cha!

User avatar
Kaz
Administrator
Posts: 2614
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:27 am
Location: The Vinyards of Fernabergia
Tempers Ball Posts: 3873
Tempers Ball/Braggarts Hall Alt: Kaz
Contact:

Re: Game Time

Post by Kaz » Sat Jun 22, 2013 6:18 pm

More smilie options on the boards?? Go hunt for smilie packs that you like for phpbb3 and I'll install them. I don't really care about smilies either way, so never really though to get more.

This is the place to look.
https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/styles/smilies-13/
Programming is 10% science, 25% ingenuity and 65% getting the ingenuity to work with the science
Wars of Tonan (Monarchy Inspired Miniatures)
Armatures for Sculpting Miniatures

User avatar
Tara
Indecisive Wenchie
Posts: 375
Joined: Thu Oct 29, 2009 5:11 am
Location: ..the slippery slope..~>
Contact:

Re: Game Time

Post by Tara » Sat Jun 22, 2013 6:21 pm

oh I hadn't used them much either, but there was this one whip-n-trout thing, believe it or not - wait no, that's 2: a trout smackin someone in the head, an'a whip smackin someone on the ass - but in the silly smilie block-form characters. What can I say, it makes me laugh.
"...you like havin insides? Image 'cuz those are gonna be outsides!"
TRR!
cha-cha-cha!

User avatar
Kaz
Administrator
Posts: 2614
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:27 am
Location: The Vinyards of Fernabergia
Tempers Ball Posts: 3873
Tempers Ball/Braggarts Hall Alt: Kaz
Contact:

Re: Game Time

Post by Kaz » Sat Jun 22, 2013 6:22 pm

btw, we 'do' have a summer. It's just tricky to predict when it'll occur, because it only lasts for one day, and can happen at any time of year randomly. ;P
Programming is 10% science, 25% ingenuity and 65% getting the ingenuity to work with the science
Wars of Tonan (Monarchy Inspired Miniatures)
Armatures for Sculpting Miniatures

User avatar
Kaz
Administrator
Posts: 2614
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:27 am
Location: The Vinyards of Fernabergia
Tempers Ball Posts: 3873
Tempers Ball/Braggarts Hall Alt: Kaz
Contact:

Re: Game Time

Post by Kaz » Sat Jun 22, 2013 7:12 pm

It turns out that it's pretty easy to grab smilies from TB and install them here. Over the years quite a lot were added and then some were removed. I've just installed my favourites.

:007: 007
:bud: bud
:chainsaw: chainsaw
:cheers: cheers
:dragon: dragon
:duel: duel
:firing: firing
:fishslap: fishslap
:furious: furious
:knight: knight
:spammer: spammer
:starwars: starwars
:stupid: stupid
:violin: violin
Programming is 10% science, 25% ingenuity and 65% getting the ingenuity to work with the science
Wars of Tonan (Monarchy Inspired Miniatures)
Armatures for Sculpting Miniatures

User avatar
Reylan Talonspyre
Teacher
Posts: 537
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 3:26 am
Contact:

Re: Game Time

Post by Reylan Talonspyre » Sat Jun 22, 2013 8:33 pm

I remember when the Spammer one used to come up when you typed in ":reylan:" or something. Good times. :-)

[edit] Just for you Rey ~Kaz

:reylan: reylan
I think I would make a great pope.
Gatekeepers

User avatar
Tara
Indecisive Wenchie
Posts: 375
Joined: Thu Oct 29, 2009 5:11 am
Location: ..the slippery slope..~>
Contact:

Re: Game Time

Post by Tara » Sun Jun 23, 2013 4:55 pm

SPAMMMMMERRR!!!
Image

an' also .. looking back on my recent posts, I've decided we apparenty like the smilie thingies :mrgreen:
"...you like havin insides? Image 'cuz those are gonna be outsides!"
TRR!
cha-cha-cha!

User avatar
Gili
Community Admin
Posts: 738
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:00 am
Location: Northampton, England

Re: Game Time

Post by Gili » Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:58 am

Kaz wrote:btw, we 'do' have a summer. It's just tricky to predict when it'll occur, because it only lasts for one day, and can happen at any time of year randomly. ;P
by my count, we've had 1 week and 1 day(separate from the week) of 'sun' this year. Mind you, its amazing how warm 24C feels when it was freezing cold the week before. The bloody random weather generator is getting increasingly random
"Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Contactable on gtalk & msn via sshagent @ gmail . com

User avatar
Jokingjoe
Second Centurion
Posts: 1204
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:35 pm
Location: New Bern, NC
Contact:

Re: Game Time

Post by Jokingjoe » Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:21 pm

Perhaps it's because your "doctor" isn't there to save you, this time!

User avatar
Reylan Talonspyre
Teacher
Posts: 537
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 3:26 am
Contact:

Re: Game Time

Post by Reylan Talonspyre » Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:05 pm

Kaz, you rock!

:reylan:
I think I would make a great pope.
Gatekeepers

Post Reply

Return to “Guilds”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests