Has a new loch Ness monster been photographed?

~ General comments and discussion.

Moderator: Staff

Has a new loch Ness monster been photographed?

Postby owly » Thu Nov 25, 2010 11:25 pm

Images of an unusual creature in the sea off the Devon Coast at Saltern Cove have raised the interest of amateur crytpozoologists and Marine scientists alike. The latest images of an unknown creature were captured by Gill Pearce a local resident, who took several images of the creature as it chased a shoal of fish which so alarmed the fish they beached themselves on the nearby shoreline.

Mrs Pearce, took the photo on July 27 and reported her sighting to the Marine Conservation Society (MCS) where it was studied by experts.

Claire Fischer from the MCS said: 'Gill Pearce spotted the creature about 20 metres from the bay at Saltern Cove, near Goodrington.

'It was observed at about 15.30 on 27 July but by the time she had got her camera it had moved further out.

'She spotted it following a shoal of fish which beached themselves in Saltern Cove.

'The creature remained in the sea, then went out again and followed the shoal - this indicates it's not a turtle as they only eat jellyfish.

'We would love to know if other people have seen anything like this in the same area and can help clear up the mystery.'

Some people think the sea sighting could be linked to that of a sperm whale sighted off south Devon recently but Miss Fischer dismissed that explanation.

'They [sperm whales] wouldn't come that close inshore and the reptilian-like head counts that out - at least that's what the experts are saying.'

The sighting has caused a stir on the MCS website too, where theories range from sea serpent to salt water crocodile.

An MCS spokesman said: 'It was reported as a turtle as it had large front flippers and small back flippers and what appeared to be a shell but was also said to have a small head on a thin neck about two-feet long which craned above the surface like a Plesiosaur.

'No sea turtles do that with their heads and we do not know of similarly described freshwater turtles that grow so big.

'This is not a fake. The problem is the distance and clarity from which the photos were taken.

'The lady thought it may have been a turtle - but turtles don't chase fish.

'So at the moment it is "unidentified" - the person who reported it has trawled the internet and says the closest ID fit is a giant green sea turtle - but the description of the head doesn't add up.'

The organisation is now asking for people to keep a keen watch on the seas off South Devon and have appealed for more photos to be taken.
i know what you said about my Momma
owly
Sage

Re: Has a new loch Ness monster been photographed?

Postby Jezebel » Fri Nov 26, 2010 9:42 am

For those who just want to get a glimpse of the original Loch Ness Monster, Scotland has a live Nessie Cam.

http://www.lochness.co.uk/livecam/

I see they just added an new high def cam.
Jezebel
Traveler

Postby Nagash » Fri Nov 26, 2010 3:48 pm

I think it's amazing that people still are expecting something huge, green and slimey to live in Loch Ness. Quite some time has passed since it was first spotted. Its beard must be long and grey by now. :P
If word gets out that I'm missing, 500 girls will kill themselves and I wouldn't want them on my conscience - not when they ought to be on my face!
Nagash
Master

Postby owly » Fri Nov 26, 2010 4:32 pm

Local mountain China-men reported seeing a strange black and white beast for ages. Today we call it panda......

When the voices in your head tell you not to believe then believe and quiet the voices...... ;)
owly
Sage

Postby owly » Fri Nov 26, 2010 4:50 pm

Jezebel incase you missed the thread i think you find this interesting to say the least......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygh1-ul6E94
owly
Sage

Postby Atla » Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:15 pm

We're constantly discovering new species at a rate much faster than they are being eradicated. I wouldn't be in the least bit surprised.

They found that wierd antelope critter in Vietnam in 1992. (Hell it was undiscovered during an entire war)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saola

Only 11 have been recorded alive so far.

~Atla the Impeccable!
You know, it's a human race. And you lost.
Atla
Teacher

Postby Nether » Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:59 pm

Atla wrote:We're constantly discovering new species at a rate much faster than they are being eradicated. I wouldn't be in the least bit surprised.

They found that wierd antelope critter in Vietnam in 1992. (Hell it was undiscovered during an entire war)

I bet some guy in Texas has one on his wall.
Psychos don't explode when sunlight hits them, I don't give a f**k how crazy they are.
Nether
Elessar

Postby owly » Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:12 pm

Atla wrote:We're constantly discovering new species at a rate much faster than they are being eradicated. I wouldn't be in the least bit surprised.

the largest Cryptozoology discovery in years or so it was call when the animal was presented to the world. It has strange breathing vents that run up it nose......
owly
Sage

Postby owly » Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:29 pm

i was very surprised at Atla's post he didn't come in here and say something like he'd like to shoot it and wear it on his head. He actually contributed to this thread ayup i'm very surprised........

Speaking of Atla shooting something i'm sure he'll get his chance, if he goes to where i think he's headed. i just hope he shoots the bad guys before they shoot him. i got to know him in what i believe pretty good here on the boards and i'll be Devastated if he dies over there. i hope he marries and enjoys that life atleast for a little while before he goess......

edit/i did some searches and found no new info on the creature
owly
Sage

Postby Lady Maven » Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:39 am

My only real issues with the idea of the Loch ness monster, or closery to home, Champy have to do with diet. I mean that beast would eat a LOT, no matter carnivours herbivore or omnivore. For there to still be something in those lakes, there would have to be more than one. A viable breeding pool. Then what would THEY eat? There does not seem to be enough to support a creature of that size much less a whole bunch of them. Some whales eat plankton, true, but then they eat a LOT of it and they don't live in lakes.

And second, could there be enough animals that wuld feast on the carcass when one died fast enough to keep it from bloating and floating to the surface or even washing to shore?

Hey Owly, I have breathing vents that run up MY nose too. I call 'em nostrils ;> (yes I know what you mean, I am busting your chops)

I don't have an issue believing tons of animals exist in remote places thatwe know nothing about. I will tell you when I was a kid, my whole family saw a black panther walking down a ravine in Southern California. We commented on how cool that was and went on our way. It was not until a couple of mo0nths ago that I found out people don't believe black panthers exist in the United States at ALL much less walk close enough to a road to be seen. We only thought it odd that it was out during the day. It would gibe you the screaming meemees to know how many animals escape from public and private zoos (or are let go by assholes) and never caught.
"By the nine arms of Vishnu, I swear I am not a Hindu!” - Apu

How did someone realize you could milk a cow? And what the hell did they think they were doing to the cow in the first place?!
Lady Maven
Teacher

Postby owly » Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:23 am

Assuming it ate fish what if it's like a sharkwhale and eats algy or maybe it eats something else that we have no clue to. i know they found life inthe most unlikely of places under water gas vents striving on breathing gas fumes yup a new type of crustacean........

lol i pick my nose more then a bugger eating kid......

i think the loch ness monster looks more like a whale but that just me maybe a few others too.......
owly
Sage

Postby Atla » Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:35 am

I'm to cute and cuddly to have my head cut off by a bunch of backwoods savages.

;)
~Atla the Impeccable!
You know, it's a human race. And you lost.
Atla
Teacher

Postby Lady Maven » Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:25 pm

Owly, it is not WHAT it eats, unless it eats air and turns into pixie dust when it dies there simply would not be enough fish, or algae or plants or crustaceans or ANYTHING for an animal of this size. Much less an entire breeding stock worth of its family, for this creature to still exist.

There exists in proportion in Loch Ness the following:

20 tons of fish which would support 2 tons of Nessie
200 tons of algae which would support 20 tons of Nessie.

That simply is not consistant with what people are claiming to ave seen and photographed. And worse, people keep assuming ONE animal, which is completely impossible for the number of years this creature has been spotted.

As far as the posted image goes, that was originally attributed to "Nessie" and I believe was ultimately determined to be a log.

The problem with nearly every "lost species" pic is that they almost never have anything for scale comparison.

And as for all the cameras they have posted and the hype Scottland gives Nessie, can you think of NO other reason besides a real and true belief in the monster for them to do this? Can you think of no reason the would have changed the image of this "creature" from a horrible beast to a lovable Disney-esque Water Horse?

While I don't have any hard fast numbers, my guess would be BILLIONS of tourism dollars. If I thought I could make that kind of scratch by claiming to believe in a "monster" so help me I would glue fur in patches to my ass and claim to be a shaved yeti.

How did someone realize you could milk a cow? And what the hell did they think they were doing to the cow in the first place?!
Lady Maven
Teacher

Postby owly » Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:46 pm

If Nessie does exist it's a unknown, and with the unkown one can't assume anything one can only speculate. With that being said i can't speculate what such a animal feeds on i know it not fish. But i can speculate that it's in all likelyhood about the size of a pilot whale or three times the size of a dolphin, Big but not a huge monster. At that size a family pod say 12 or a few more could strive in the loch. But how is unknown to me but if it exist then it's feeding on something again i point to the whaleshark a huge creature that lives on micros. What fun about speculating is you might get surprised and one might find a lot of surprises in the answers, once a unknown is discovered. Right now me personaly only half way believe in Nessie. i seen footage few have of what at first looked like a rock sticking out of the water then like a snake slithers on land it moved all so smoothly on the water top then in what to me was the climactic ending it sunk it's what i can only speculate again was his head making a splash as it disappeared. The footage is the best i ever saw it was taken in all places on a tour boat that showed the loch to tourist that want to know more about Nessie. I looked on the web a dozen times already to find the footage but been unable to find it. i believe or half of me believes more on eye witnesses take for example two priest in the 17 century on the loch on a row boat, both saw the animal and swear that there something in the loch. It's a long list, as far as witnesses goes. i say they saw something but as to what i can only speculate. if i was at the loch and had the means i be hunting the bottum and the deep caves of the loch........

As far as the pictures above being a log i thought the same thing but taking into account what the eye witness saw it don't add up. It reminds me of footage taken of ogopogo playing near the shore. The ogopogo monster i say monster because it's huge the footage is way better than the two stills i provided above, taking on old 8mm film and in what i can only speculate wasn't a school of fish i think the video or better yet old style raw film shows as much.......

i only meant to say a few words lol instead i made a rant
owly
Sage

Postby Lady Maven » Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:24 am

Remember, eye witnesses can simply be wrong. We see what we want to see. Think of all the clouds that have looked like ships, or cracks in a wall that look like a face. Making order out of chaos is simply what the human mind does. It is call pareidolia. Now combine that tendency with a hope of seeing a monster in a lake and it is easy to see how a log becomes the famed "Nessie". It is not that these people are liars. They genuinely believe what they are seeing. And the true believers will never be convinced that what they saw was a rolling log. (as to that image I am 99% certain that photo enhancement techniques were used to prove it WAS Nessie, and proved it was in fact not NatGeo ran thing on Nessie not ling ago, that was part of it.

While i disagree with your notion of what it means to assume (actually what you said it does NOT mean is almost the text book definition of the word) but for the sake of your position, let us call it an educated guess.

Let's go with the smaller of the two species you used for size comparison, the pilot whale (which is slightly smaller than an Orca) at 3 tons. One animal could be supported just barely if it ate only fish and indefinately if it ate only algae (and to my knowledge the manatee is the largest ocean living herbivore). Now, we must multiply that by a sufficient number to create a centuries old sustainable population. What will we say? 100 adult animals needed? Making the tonnage 300 even if we do not count babies and juveniles the food supply could not sustain a population the size of which would be needed for the earliest reports of Nessie and the latest reports to be vallid.

Was there EVER such a creature in Loch Ness? No clue. Maybe. Is there one NOW? Highly unlikely. And I am just a casual uneducated in animal husbandry observer. If *I* can think of a ton of good reasons that make it EXTREMELY unlikely that such a creature exists you can bet scientists can come up with many MANY more.

I speculate. I take part in EVP experiments and I am very open minded. I am just also willing to see when something is simply improbable at best and impossible at worst. I believe in life after death, and spirits, If someone could show me the kind of evidence that science has shown about Nessie that such things cannot exist, I would be the first to say "well, shit, guess I was mistaken"

Lady Maven
Teacher

Postby Super_Sturm » Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:47 pm

I wonder how those deer would taste, mind you a lil garlic & pepper can go along way in dinner? ;)
“We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence",
"But we rather have those because we have acted rightly” Aristotle 384 B.C.-322 B.C
~ Fidei Defensor Vexillarius ~ Amo ut invenio ~
Super_Sturm
Wayfarer

Postby Lady Maven » Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:56 am

LOL, I am glad I am not the only one who sees one of God's creatures and thinks.. "hmm.. wonder if that should be braised or pan seared"?

Lady Maven
Teacher

Postby Dwarven Giant » Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:57 am

BBQ'd
Guild's Best Scummer in any Faith
Dwarven Giant
Newbling

Postby Lady Maven » Sat Dec 04, 2010 5:25 pm

I dunno DG, BBQ is good for good cuts of meat but I am betting that critter has an awful lot of fast twitch muscle and connective tissue. I am thinking a low slow braise with a finish of a nice earth pinot noir would be amazing.

Lady Maven
Teacher

Postby owly » Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:30 am

Well i thinkileft possibility of such a animal can exsist so i'll leave it that.......

i hate bbq but on a grill i have to say yummy
owly
Sage

Next

Return to Comments