Postby Imo » Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:28 pm

Stryfe wrote:Damn, I miss trivia bot. :(

hell ya.
The enemy of the enemy is my friend.
Imo
Wayfarer

Re: People i want to summon back to Canon/Monarchy

Postby Shayanna » Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:16 am

Sunblade, and the leader of one of the blue faith guilds.
Cannae remember his name, but he rocked.
Seska? Maybe.
True she had a lot of intensity and enthusiasm , but trying to get someone realistic down to earth RP from her was a living hell for me. :)
--=(§hayanna Ðanielle Griffinsbane)=--
http://eq.magelo.com/profile/367863
The first Princess of Improv, to the last Princess of Maxim
Shayanna
Newbling

Postby asoc » Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:02 am

Shay, were you a part of the Elendriel Inn crew in NPA long ago?
asoc
Explorer

Postby Shayanna » Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:12 am

I honestly don't remember specifics, but I do know I spent a lot of time in the NPA.
--=(§hayanna Ðanielle Griffinsbane)=--
http://eq.magelo.com/profile/367863
The first Princess of Improv, to the last Princess of Maxim
Shayanna
Newbling

Postby Dyvim Tvar » Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:49 am

I miss that guy, you know the dude with the face? No, not that one, the other one who was kind of like that guy you're thinking of but a little different.
Yeah, seeing him back would be kind of cool.
'Sup?
Dyvim Tvar
Lost Soul

Re: People i want to summon back to Cannon/Monarchy

Postby Veri » Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:31 pm

Hern wrote:Man...not even an honorable mention?

Perhaps I should have been a bit crazier and I would have left an impression.;p

I miss Tom Hanks... I miss my mind too though.
Veri
Newbling

Postby the mighty stamar » Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:11 am

i remember the game itself being about 99% sentiment and talking about it and about 1% playing a game.

My favorite game though was last guild standing with WOLF, and um bellum lupus and dow vets. And we spent about half the time talking about old times even then, in the salad days.

I dont even personally believe the author even really wrote the game. Its kind of something I would write in virtual studio in about 3 hours.

and six years later it was barely improved. Definitely it was a forum with a god awful sad pre html game attached to it that didnt really function.

a lot of dialogue I remember about it, from soul demon, and from decae, refering to rewriting the game in php and charging for it and whatever....

I know now is STRAIGHT BULLSHIT!!!!! lol. These guys are computer programmers like im a super model.

God. I mean I remember some cool times talking to people but I thank god I dont spend my time on a monarchy board like the old days.

I do remember what I went through in my personal life at those times. To make a long story short, I was not ready for normal human friends and socializing.

Anyhow sorry I digress. Who would I summon back? No one. You are all free from playing the non game, and arguing about it. Travel elsewhere to real games. Hello to you all I do remember some fondly but Id never summon you back to monarchy.

Im pretty sure my most regular chat buddy was entropos. He was also in the wolf guilds.
the mighty stamar
Newbling

Postby Kaz » Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:09 am

Stamar,

I too remember a fun age or two in WOLF, as I'm sure do a few other that are still here. When I saw you post a little over a month ago I was pleased to see you return.

Not so much now.

What's with all the hate?

The simple fact is this game WAS rewritten in PHP having originally been written in Perl. I know this for fact because I have the code, and when I recoded a couple of old scripts that were still perl, I realised it was going to be easier to just recode them.

Souldemon was never a programmer and did not claim to be. Decae is still a programmer in his day job as far as I know, although only drops in here on occassion, and is no longer an administrator.

This site still exists because a few of us still care enough to keep it going. I have personally spent thousands of hours tweaking the code here and there, over the last 7 years, adding new features etc. Along with a hell of a lot of money. Souldemon paid to host the place for about 10 years, not code it.

Decae has not been responsible for coding anything since around 2005, and has not even been an administrator since he passed all responsibility to me in 2009 when he finally shut down Evernight as a gaming site. But he's also put in a hell of a lot.

There are loads of new features, which I'm not going to bother going into because this isn't the right thread for it, and you could find them out easily enough by looking around the website.

I dont know why you felt the need to come back to a game after almost a decade away, and start posting crap that's at least 7+ years out of date, about a different website, and mixed with a few lies, as if it's actually true.

If you dont want to be here it's pretty simple, dont check out the boards and post on them. Nobody forced you to come back here. Nobody is forcing you to stay here.
Programming is 10% science, 25% ingenuity and 65% getting the ingenuity to work with the science
Wars of Tonan (Monarchy Inspired Miniatures)
Armatures for Sculpting Miniatures
Kaz
Administrator

Postby the mighty stamar » Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:56 pm

the new game is probably great.

the old game wasnt it was stupid. I just need that off my chest, it wasnt just a bad game it wasnt really a game.

It wasnt actually even a game it was kind of a test for games to come. not as neat as something like hack from the 70s.

I dont miss the old days all things considered is what Id say. I could not tell you the allure the game had. There was a time when it was a big traffic point on the internet. but the truth was, most people thought the game sucked. Tried it out and quit, or stuck with it and quit.

And even talked about how much fun it used to be all the time. Age 4 with this guild. e tc

Oh god. Hehe I miss some things about it but overall it was so much work even being a player. Never have I wanted something like that again. WOW or soemthing like that is nothing in comparison.

So sure I came here to see if anyone is around but most Id just like to share my relief that I dont do anything like that with my time anymore. Im not going to lie about it Im inherently honest.

I am personally not sure why monarchy got any traffic. The game itself was so much worse than most of its competition even in the early internet days. Just for fun someday ill rewrite a version in NET I do believe it might take 8 hours.

Its a phenomena in itself really if I were to write a story. non experienced programmmer creates a web game to test things out, creates a forum...there it was a community. If anyone involved would have skipped forum posting for a few weeks and made an actual game it might have been a big thing lol.
the mighty stamar
Newbling

Postby Kaz » Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:05 pm

The only lies I was referring to where about the game not being recoded (from perl) and dustin not being a programmer.

The new game is not 'that much' different to the old one, which 'was' a game. This version has a selection of extra bits but unfortunatley less players.

I'm trying to establish new sources of getting life back into the game including artwork to make it 'finally' look nice, integration with platforms like facebook, msn and google and also a tabletop version of the game with miniatures and cards. But real life always seems to get in the way of the pace i'd like to see changes happen.

It's really hard getting away from the negativity associated with the the Braggarts Hall and Tempers Ball incarnations, but this place 'is' nicer that the old ones (mostly) so always feel the need to defend things.
Programming is 10% science, 25% ingenuity and 65% getting the ingenuity to work with the science
Kaz
Administrator

Postby the mighty stamar » Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:12 pm

You know as fun as wolf was

It was mostly only fun for us in wolf. And snake the other guild.

Because we almost always won. So even that had fewer and fewer people joining cause we kicked their ass.

And the game itself needed a huge forum presence to decide what was fair. 100 could not fight 50.... what?

What kind of game has you decide whats fair FOR it? a non game lol. A game that needs a lot of work.

And never got it. I think i played for 5 years or so and it really didnt change, improve or anything. Im positive it died why did it go on so long?

there was even like a code of conduct you were supposed to follow to make up for the games incompleteness. Dont attack players much smaller than you etc.

thats what it was it was unique in its incompleteness. between the browser game and the forum there was a game to play.

I know most people ended up retiring from playing and getting more into posting.

Anyhow Im reliving some memories. Im not sure when I played last.

I dont want to be positive or negative just real. If you or anyone is trying to make a web browser game and youre ignoring what monarchy really was thats not positive in my mind.

you are building on a concept that died because it was never made. The weakness in the game was handed over to players to try and decide how to play it competively.

Someone like me ( the real person) who has been a proffesional gamer enters into games to win. So how I interacted with the game was strange. But I did very well in the games where you could win and had fun in those games.
the mighty stamar
Newbling

Postby the mighty stamar » Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:38 pm

Ya i remember the evernight time

when the game was supposed to be getting cool any day now

but the players were just disapearing. And wanting to do what I could to help.

But basing my concept on a lie. There was no game author improving or writing a game. He just did not have that kind of horsepower. The actual rewrite was something done automatically.

the game sucked, it died. It had none of the concepts for a competitive game there was little skill involved. I dont know if I was around when they pulled the plug but close to it it was boring.

Theres just no way to convince people that canon or whatever is a real game when theres 500 kingdom building games out there that are.
the mighty stamar
Newbling

Postby Grunt » Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:13 pm

Dont be hatin
Grunt
Teacher

Postby Kaz » Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:19 am

Dude,

You're taking this thread way off track. If you didn't like Monarchy and Canon, then fine. That's your perogative. But going on about how it wasn't a game and how it was automatically code is simply bullshit that has no place on these boards. I know how much manual coding has gone into this place, because I did loads of it.

As for whether you were around when the plug was pulled. You clearly were not, as you'd have known that instead of pulling the plug totally, we moved here.

Evernight.com is still up and running on the same webserver as Monarchygame.com, as is TB, although it's been pretty much dead since 2009.

This isn't some copy created by old players (unlike another game I wont mention), this is the next official incarnation created from the same code by the remaining Administrators who decided to keep 'something' alive, even when death might have been a blessing to them.

Historically (if you actually care) I joined the team in 2005, released the first new variation the game had seen for years (massacre) and then took over total development a year or so later. Those years saw scout databases built into the game, lots of little racial tweaks, Last Quad Standing and several other improvements. I then got pissed off with the attitude of many of the Evernight community in late 2008, Brian (Souldemon/Teanos) was already pissed off and we made the decision to close the site.

Dustin (Decae) decided to come out of a long retirement and keep it going, before he finally had enough in 2009 and posted saying it was closing after all.

At that point, having had a year off, Brian and myself decided to not let it die after all, but wanted the chance to make a new messageboards with a new set of rules, so moved the game here. Dustin deleted the thread on TB saying the site was closing, and pointed the old domain to the new server to keep a route alive to help people find their way here, and reconnect if they so wished it.

Up until a year ago, Brian was still paying to host everything from his credit card. He's sort of stepped away, but I suspect he'll be back if this place ever turns around. As might Dustin I suppose, who occassionally pops in here.

This site is here for those that still care to have it around. If you dont want it around, there are plenty of alternative places to hang out online.
Kaz
Administrator

Postby Jezebel » Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:50 am

This isn't some copy created by old players (unlike another game I wont mention), this is the next official incarnation created from the same code by the remaining Administrators who decided to keep 'something' alive, even when death might have been a blessing to them.

As someone who played both Space Merchant and Monarchy in the Shareplay days, and still plays Space Merchant Realms, I think it is rather unfair to be dismissive of the game and its coder. I enjoyed playing both games in its heyday. SMR suffered from many of the same issues Monarchy did - favoritism, failure to encourage new players, nastiness on the boards that drove people away. Those issues are killing the game in much the same way as it did Monarchy. But the coder, Pagan Gazzard (a fellow countryman of yours) has logged many, many hours in attempts to balance and invigorate the game, much as you are doing, Kaz. He puts up with a lot of crap from bitter old vets much like you did. He doesn't get paid for his time, either. His efforts should not be dismissed so lightly.
Jezebel
Traveler

Postby asoc » Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:19 am

It was/is a game. No doubt about it.
The community was part of what made it a game though.
It wasn't coded into the game that you couldn't down hit someone, but people would see what you did and punish you. Every action has its consequences. A large part of the game was how you maneuvered through the politics and how you strategically placed your kingdom/guild. There was an unwritten code of honor. And that was a huge topic on the message board. Its why you had guild policies where only certain people could speak in war threads when it came to discussing the politics of the hit. It was the people who made the game as much as the game itself. And that was fun, and time consuming.

The problem was that when the player base started to drop the community didn't really function in that same way. The balance got thrown off. I think the move away from Shareplay was the first huge player drop and from there it just kept slowly dropping.

I like simple games that allow for the player/s to create the complexity themselves.

Monarchy does that imo. I would love playing in a guilds game again with a thousand or so players in it. I never really cared as much about the other games, even MoPri/Maxim I didn't like as much. I was always about the guilds game with the three base races.

Jez, I need to try Space Merchant again. I never got into that much, but I have dorked around in it occasionally throughout the years.

I even started checking out Panumbra a little while shareplay was around. I wouldn't mind trying that again if it was around anywhere.
asoc
Explorer

Postby RedBaron » Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:54 am

Apparently I don't qualify... but ah, such a nice reminiscing thread where Mavrick flames Maven. Brings a tear to my eye. :cry:
RedBaron - Wait... who am I again?
RedBaron
Newbling

Postby bandit » Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:09 pm

not even a mention for me in this thread either.. i guess im chopped liver. lol
_Nagash_ wrote:
The meaning of life is, make the road to death one big party.

RIP Dark Wolf, you will be missed my friend.
Crabs are a delicacy, but not when in your pants.
bandit
Traveler

Postby bigSparky » Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:45 am

Uhm... Bandit and Red Baron...feel better now guys?

Christ I crack myself up. And remember you both as well.
Holding onto anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one getting burned. ~Buddha
bigSparky
Explorer

Postby Immigrant » Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:14 am

Arsenal and Dyvim would be fun to summon back, as well as Cal (for the entertainment factor;p)... and the couple from Vancouver (Viper and... forget her name now), along with Tubs, LAK, and the list goes on & on
Immigrant
Explorer

PreviousNext

Return to Comments