StarCraft II.

~ General comments and discussion.

Moderator: Staff

StarCraft II.

Postby Teanos » Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:47 pm

Anyone else buy it, have it, or planning on getting?

PM me and I'll give ya my Blizzard ID.
Even a ghost needs to breathe.
Teanos
Within the Shadows

Re: StarCraft II.

Postby Lady Maven » Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:31 pm

I have a few questions if you don't mind. My step son wants me to get this for him desperately.

Is it kid(ish) friendly? He is almost 16, but a bit sheltered. He IS my step son so he is no stranger to cursing but I would prefer to keep him away from the more "adult" nature of some of these games.

Is it better to get one family account or get him his own? I won't be playing but hubby might and he is techy about having his password and log in out there.
"By the nine arms of Vishnu, I swear I am not a Hindu!” - Apu

How did someone realize you could milk a cow? And what the hell did they think they were doing to the cow in the first place?!
Lady Maven
Teacher

Postby Lilim Savanant » Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:49 pm

if it helps its been rated the following by various game rating systems;

ESRB - Teen - Contains content that might be considered unsuitable for children under 13 years of age. Titles in this category may contain more violence, suggestive themes, crude humor, blood, simulated gambling, and/or infrequent use of strong language.

OFLC (australian rating system) - Mature - These films and computer games contain material that requires a mature perspective, but is still not enough to be deemed too strong for younger viewers

PEGI - 16+ - This rating is suitable only for persons of 16 years of age or older. Some situations include moderate to strong action violence, mild references to gambling, and rude humor.

It deals with war, science fiction, aliens, violence, politics etc, but if you're worried about things like sex or extreme violence then you're probably safe. obviously depending on what you think would be suitable for him. Content should be considered equivalent to a PG 13 film.

As for separate accounts you may want to have more of a look at the blizzard account system as its all done through their new Blizznet system which got overhauled not long back, it is possible to run multiple accounts off the same blizznet account for various games.

feel free to watch the various trailers and such here http://www.gametrailers.com/game/starcraft-ii-wings-of-liberty/4868 to get a better impression for yourself.
Lilim Savanant
Lost Soul

Postby Lady Maven » Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:01 pm

Nope, not a help at all. WoW gets those same ratings and yet I watched it break up several marriages with the cybering and pother nonsense that goes on there. It is banned from my house. There are some of the things happening there that could barely get an R rating. The ratings are only talking about the game itself, not the players. While this is a new game StarCraft has been out a while and will be mostly the same player base.

How did someone realize you could milk a cow? And what the hell did they think they were doing to the cow in the first place?!
Lady Maven
Teacher

Postby Connor » Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:47 pm

Lady Maven wrote:While this is a new game StarCraft has been out a while and will be mostly the same player base.

Not really. Starcraft original is a 10 year old game, and while there are still lots of die hard fans - mostly geeks in their mid twenties plus and Koreans. Starcraft also wasn't so heavily tied to Battle.net - probably a majority of gamers played on LAN's rather than through the central gaming platform at Blizzard.

I haven't played SC2 yet - but from all the reviews it looks like it will be a typical predominantly male player base. It doesn't do much (if any) of the community gathering stuff that attracts female players. I'd expect that the social aspects of the game will be like every other game played heavily by a predominantly male player base - lots of bad language and homophobia, not a lot of interpersonal drama compared to MMO's with a more gender diverse player base.
Connor
Lost Soul

Postby Teanos » Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:46 am

Game Content - Its a bunch of space marines (well to start with at least) blowing up aliens. There are a TON of cut scenes with some bad language and other suggestive things. The female characters all have nice boob animiations too, Blizzard is pretty consistant. Haha.

But other then that, there is no roleplaying or anything like that. Its a real time strategy game, you focus on micro-managing your base and its troops to build up and beat your opponent. You can interact with your opponent through game chat, but most people playing are too busy to chat.

Battle Net - This game is heavily tied into Battlenet, which also ties into World of Warcraft and it will tie into Diablo III. I can talk to anyone who has a battle.net id in the game. So like tonite a buddy was in SC2 while I was in WOW doing my dailies and we were talking back and forth. If WOW is banned from your house, then just be aware that your step-son or anyone else using the account CAN interact with people who play WOW.

Battle Net is a multi-game platform that ties all of Blizzard's games together. But you have to have a persons battle.net id to talk to them, and I think there are parental controls and stuff you can setup. I haven't looked into it as I only got about ten people in it right now.

Safe for a 16 year old? I let my 3 1/2 year old watch me build my colony and blow up aliens. He got a kick out of it, I can't imagine its going to hurt a 16 year old.

Connor is right - the player base is going to be asians and males. Alot of teenagers who missed out on the original StarCraft, and then a bunch of 25-50 year olds who remember kicking ass in StarCraft and want to pretend they are reliving their awesomeness again. ( fall into that category, I used to kick ass. Now, ugh.)

Now game talk -

The game is pretty cool. The graphics are awesome, but I expected nothing less of a Blizzard game. I've gotten through about 4-5 of the single player missions so far. I'm trying to remember all the tricks to managing supply depots and building up tech, never did like the Terren's much. So far I'm having fun.

Bed time now though.
Teanos
Within the Shadows

Postby Lady Maven » Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:45 am

Now that answers my questions. Thank you.

Oh wait one more, how is it on windows 7? I am sick of buying stuff that won't work.

Lady Maven
Teacher

Postby asoc » Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:26 am

Get it for the kid Maven.

For a 16 year old, shouldn't be any issues.

Again, Real Time Strategy games are really nothing like MMORPGs.
WoW is only similar to the original Warcraft RTS series because they set it in that fantasy world with that lore.
Heck, only reason I started playing WoW was because it was set in the Warcraft universe. I still play Warcraft III every now and again. I don't play WoW anymore.

If SC2 is anything like the original Star Craft or like The Warcraft RTS line, than it will be a game that will still be played 10 years down the road.
asoc
Explorer

Postby Lady Maven » Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:54 am

I have made up my mind to get it for him. I trust at the least that you people have no interest in corrupting teenage boys.

Lady Maven
Teacher

Postby owly » Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:15 am

Na they are not Catholic Priest

At 16 there's not much more to know, if there was cybering going on 'in game' than i could see you not wanting him to play. Or waste money on that sorta deal..........
i know what you said about my Momma
owly
Sage

Postby Nagash » Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:50 am

I'm planning to get it, just don't know whether I'll do that now or once the prices drop a bit.

Can't wait for the Protoss version btw. Any news on the planning for the other two episodes/expansions yet?
If word gets out that I'm missing, 500 girls will kill themselves and I wouldn't want them on my conscience - not when they ought to be on my face!
Nagash
Master

Postby Lilim Savanant » Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:06 am

Ah, I see, that's the sort of things you were more concerned about.

Oh in that case starcraft 2 is fine.

WoW on the other hand is one of the most sinisterly devised pieces of addictive evil ever created, not that I didn't thoroughly enjoy my time spent in Azeroth, if anything I perhaps enjoyed it too much.

And it should be completely fine with windows 7, there's a couple of little minor issues and things that may crop up but can be fixed, list of most common here http://www.gamertell.com/gaming/comment/starcraft-ii-issues-and-fixes/. Its also got a list of processor/video card problems there too. The one that amuses me is that its not compatible with windows compatibility mode, heh.
Lilim Savanant
Lost Soul

Postby Lady Maven » Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:30 am

Yeah, thanks Lillim, but I had to have first hand knowledge. Things in my personal past have left me with scars about online games. I wanted to make sure that StarCraft was a saner environment. I don't care about crude humor, violence or cursing. I just don't want a 16 year old dragged into that sort of drama. I am gunshy about letting him play ANY game (this one excepted, no one here puts up with that kind of bullshit)

Lady Maven
Teacher

Postby Lilim Savanant » Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:45 am

I know that feeling. My ex cheated on me with a guild mate on wow. What started off as a little bit of friendly on-line flirting soon turned into a real life betrayal.

Certainly makes you reconsider why you're bothering to pay your subscription fee.
Lilim Savanant
Lost Soul

Postby Nagash » Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:04 am

The effect WoW had on many lives seems huge indeed. Makes me glad I never started on that drug.
If word gets out that I'm missing, 500 girls will kill themselves and I wouldn't want them on my conscience - not when they ought to be on my face!
Nagash
Master

Postby Lady Maven » Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:27 am

Thanks for understanding and not taking it personally Lillim. I appreciate the effort.

And Nagash, I wish I could blame any online game, but people cheat for many reasons. I think my husband did it because I had fallen into the habit of treating him like a houseman with benefits instead of a friend. No excuse for him, and I have told him quite seriously if he does it again it will be a murder suicide, but I get why even if I don't excuse why.

What adults do online generally I am cool with. The internet was created neither by nor for children. I just needed to know about this one instance, ya dig?

Lady Maven
Teacher

Postby Lilim Savanant » Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:38 am

Just be careful of blizznet if you do sign up with starcraft 2. It isn't exactly the most user friendly account system in the world and I'd recommend staying away from the blizzard real-ID system, especially if you have any concerns about internet security and the ability of others to find out real life information about you.

There's been a nice big fuss about that system the past couple of months.
Lilim Savanant
Lost Soul

Postby asoc » Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:12 am

Heh, I tend to keep my online gaming life separate from my real life:-p

And yeah, I saw some of the stuff that could go on in WoW, hated dealing with guild drama to begin with, throw in relationships that get mixed in and its all fucked up. One of the crazier things we had in the guild I played in, we had a transgender girl stalking one of our male members. Creeped the hell out of everyone because of the stalking. When we kicked them from the guild, they freaked out, destroyed all their gear and was going off in Orgrimar about how nobody liked her blah blah blah. Then deleted her character.

Then you have the semi non rl drama. We had to boot our raid leader because he was causing so much drama as well as hacking another guilds website and forums to dig up dirt on those players and using that info to cause drama between our two guilds. As well as unauthorized shit on our forums and getting every ones passwords etc. He was also our banker. He ended up switching servers with like half the guilds stuff. He ended up in our battlegroup too, so occasionally you would see him in battle grounds.
asoc
Explorer

Postby Teanos » Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:16 am

The only reason its a fuss is because Blizzard is putting your real name out there. If you decide to post on their forums it does it with your real information.

I don't see a problem with it. Blizzard finally had enough of thse idiots who troll their message boards and cause headache and work for there staff who need to be focusing on other things. Now if you are a troll/idiot, people know who you are. The internet has been rather anonymous for a long period of time, I'm glad to see a bigger gaming company taking a stand against that.

I have full control over my user id list in battle net. The only people on it are guildmates that I've known for years, and who cares if they have my real information. They've known me long enough that one or two google clicks can find them one of the several domain names I own and they could get all my information that way.

Granted 99% of them already have my phone #, so moot point.

People who are up in arms about it, basically got something to hide. or they are young kids whos parents haven't really bothered finding out what they are up too and are now more responsible for them.
Teanos
Within the Shadows

Postby Nagash » Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:07 am

Teanos wrote:People who are up in arms about it, basically got something to hide. or they are young kids whos parents haven't really bothered finding out what they are up too and are now more responsible for them.

Agreed. That's the case with most privacy oriented protests I guess.

I've always rather liked Battle.net. It always works well and is user friendly.
Nagash
Master

Next

Return to Comments