The Hobbit 2011

Postby owly » Sat Nov 21, 2009 8:36 pm

i know what you said about my Momma
owly
Sage

Re: The Hobbit 2011

Postby Isoli » Sun Nov 22, 2009 11:30 am

Oh great, a prequel.

Is it me, or does this sound like a money making scheme pure and simple?

The three hour a piece original trilogy was good.. but it's *done*. The story has been told. It would kind of like remaking an old game with a flashy new website.
Isoli
Newbling

Postby owly » Sun Nov 22, 2009 1:00 pm

I liked the LoTR and i'm hoping that the Hobbit will be just as good.....

Edit/The Hobbit isn't a prequel its it own story and series of adventures and the only thing it has to do with the LoTR's is the finding of the ring. I always thought the hobbit was more of a children book, maybe that's just me......
owly
Sage

Postby Isoli » Sun Nov 22, 2009 5:46 pm

Tha's rather confusing. So you are saying it's has the exact same characters and the exact same ring, but a totally different plot and yet the same ending?

How utterly.. confusing.
Isoli
Newbling

Postby Archangel » Sun Nov 22, 2009 5:57 pm

I... Uh... These movies are based off books written 70 someodd years ago.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hobbit

The Hobbit, a book published in 1937.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Lord_of_the_Rings

The Lord of the Rings, three books upon which three movies have been based, written from 1937-1949.

They made movies out of the Lord of the Rings trilogy, and are now doing a movie based on the book that started the series. They aren't making up more story just to make money, these are rather established and well known books. The majority of fantasy today has roots that tie back to these books.
Unyielding resolve has no conqueror
Archangel
Community Admin

Postby Nagash » Sun Nov 22, 2009 6:06 pm

owly wrote:I liked the LoTR and i'm hoping that the Hobbit will be just as good.....

Edit/The Hobbit isn't a prequel its it own story and series of adventures and the only thing it has to do with the LoTR's is the finding of the ring. I always thought the hobbit was more of a children book, maybe that's just me......

It is a prequel in the sense that the story of LotR and the Hobbit are linked and that the Hobbit explains how Bilbo got the ring, which in turn enabled it to come in the posession of Frodo. :)
If word gets out that I'm missing, 500 girls will kill themselves and I wouldn't want them on my conscience - not when they ought to be on my face!
Nagash
Master

Postby owly » Sun Nov 22, 2009 8:42 pm

i am wrong Bilbo Golum and Gandalf spilled to the LoTR from the Hobbit and the ring of power of course. i would surggest reading the books before seeing the movies. Oh yeah both ther Hobbit and the LoTR has a rich abundance of there own charachters......
owly
Sage

Postby Gerien » Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:11 pm

owly wrote:Edit/The Hobbit isn't a prequel its it own story and series of adventures and the only thing it has to do with the LoTR's is the finding of the ring. I always thought the hobbit was more of a children book, maybe that's just me......

It is. Tolkien wrote The Hobbitt for his young children, then later developed the basic idea into the LOTR books when they were adults and after he left the war. (I took a class on Tolkien in college.)
And I never even got my own damn posting title!
Gerien
Teacher

Postby owly » Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:47 pm

i concede i concede i was wrong lol, however despite Isoli negativity i'm still can't wait to see the Hobbit......
owly
Sage

Postby Venus » Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:06 pm

the hobbit was always my favorite book out of all the books. its better than the trilogy i think.
Wow do i need a new signature or what. suggestions??
Fervent forever! CoM currently:>
Venus
Teacher

Postby owly » Sun Nov 22, 2009 11:35 pm

The Hobbit and 'The Lord of the Rings' trilogy are my favorite books too, i couldn't choose which one i like more.....
owly
Sage

Postby Nagash » Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:13 am

The Silmarillion is cool too, once you get through the fuckload of gods in the first few pages.
If word gets out that I'm missing, 500 girls will kill themselves and I wouldn't want them on my conscience - not when they ought to be on my face!
Nagash
Master

Postby MoP » Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:13 am

I have that book, gathering dust on my shelf. I'll have to read it some time :)
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs and the Universe trying to build bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
MoP
Savant

Postby owly » Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:54 am

i read the silmarillion when i was like 12, a lot of it went over my head but i liked it.....
owly
Sage

Postby MoP » Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:01 am

I'm fairly sure that if you read it now even more will go over your head, right into that could of weed.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs and the Universe trying to build bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
MoP
Savant

Postby owly » Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:59 pm

What gives you the idea that i smoke weed? :mrgreen: :geek: :lol: ;) :mrgreen:
owly
Sage

Postby Gerien » Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:16 pm

owly wrote:What gives you the idea that i smoke weed? :mrgreen: :geek: :lol: ;) :mrgreen:

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=222&p=4363#p4363
And I never even got my own damn posting title!
Gerien
Teacher

Postby owly » Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:21 pm

It proves nothing the picture is blurry it could be anything now excuse me while i hit the bong.......
owly
Sage

Postby MoP » Tue Nov 24, 2009 4:03 am

owly wrote:What gives you the idea that i smoke weed? :mrgreen: :geek: :lol: ;) :mrgreen:

You don't smoke it, you live it.
MoP
Savant

Postby Immigrant » Fri Nov 27, 2009 5:19 am

I was pretty chuffed when I heard about this. It'll be interesting to see what del Toro does with the Hobbit, especially with them getting 'creative' (and maybe a little greedy?) breaking a single book up into 2 separate movies by adding a lot of new material, or whatever they're doing to make this a 2-fer. They'll have a lot of high expectations to live up to though and that will be a big challenge even with Jackson advising in some dotted line sort of way. Despite any misgivings to the contrary though, I'm really looking forward to this.

Jackson and the whole cast and production did such an amazing job on all 3 of the LoTR films (even with them taking a certain amount of artistic license) we can only hope that the new production will do as well in their own way to show a love and respect for the story. Best news is that Gandalf will be back, among others.

You couldn't ask for a better source material either IMHO. Tolkien's stories were coloured by his linguistic expertise and scholarly knowledge of ancient cultures, but was brought to life and given dimension with him drawing from his own time spent fighting on the continent during WWI and seeing firsthand the horrors of frontline trench warfare, where so few of his own friends and schoolmates returned.

He started the stories simply when he was insanely bored grading papers one term by jotting the first lines of the Hobbit on the back of one student's paper. He shared his writings initially with his youngsters, but they hated his writing style at the time with all the asides and the incredible depth and breadth of the backstory. So even though the Hobbit may have started as more of less a children's story, it's written at a level accessible and relevant for an adult audience and the later works even more so. The man was inspired.

Lines like,
"...so do all that come to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." and,

"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them?"

Just nailed some of life's simple truths masquerading as a work of fiction - right up there with Braveheart;p
Immigrant
Explorer

Return to Comments