Page 1 of 1
Magic the Gathering
Posted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:32 pm
by Nymphsong
Anyone here still play this old card game?
I do still play and wanted to make a forum that we can discuss cards, strategies, combos, etc.
Thanks,
Nymphsong
Re: Magic the Gathering
Posted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:54 am
by Dauthi
I don't play anymore because its way to expensive. lol
but I play allot of Hearthstone. Its a simpler card game produced by Blizzard that is free to play.
Re: Magic the Gathering
Posted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:59 am
by Jokingjoe
As I mentioned the other night--while I still play, I don't actively follow the new sets. Most of my cards are vintage. I have a handful of beta and unlimited cards, but most are revised through mirage with a handful of interesting little singles I've picked up while browing cards shops.
I don't play DCI or any sanctioned tournaments, just some games with old friends a few times a year. Two or three of them still play the new stuff and I've seen some very nasty combinations and stiff defenses. Some of these newer cards mixed in with the older cards can be extremely potent. I really need to invest in some of these Snapcasters..they seem pretty awesome. Shivan Dragons are chumps compared to some of these hellkites being played today. Banefire just makes me sad. What do you mean I can't counter or prevent it?
Re: Magic the Gathering
Posted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:21 am
by Nymphsong
Snapcaster Mage is a pretty nasty card!
I currently help design some of the more Standard play decks my friends take to FNM.
Dauthi, that was the original reason I left the game...the cost. Now I make enough where a 50 bucks a month is not a problem...to pop on some good stuff...
Nymphsong
Re: Magic the Gathering
Posted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:00 pm
by Kaz
Once the artwork is all done, would you guys buy a set of Monarchy cards if I released them?
Re: Magic the Gathering
Posted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:45 pm
by Jokingjoe
Tell me more about these Monarchy cards.
Re: Magic the Gathering
Posted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:15 am
by Kaz
Re: Magic the Gathering
Posted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:17 am
by Nymphsong
I'm game.
I actually like the postcard idea just as much as the card "game" idea...or just as collectibles...
Will we have a Venus?
Nymphsong
Re: Magic the Gathering
Posted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:23 am
by Kaz
Re: Magic the Gathering
Posted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:55 pm
by belin
Ya I still play MTG. No tourneys or anything just with old friends. Games pretty mixed a few folk who just use old cards, people like me who use a mix of old and a few packs of newer cards, and a few some crazy people who spend tons on cards and have combos that make me shiver in terror and confusion.
Personally don't think I'd play a monarchy card game, mostly because I have enough trouble getting people together for games everyone already plays like settlers or magic.
If you're interested in getting a good gage on the viability, wait till you have more art work done, flush out a basic concept and maybe get a kick starter for it (there's a few games on kickstarter already). It will give you a pretty good idea of how much interest there is, and give you some pre-sales etc. Just avoid the collectible card game format, wotc (or whoever bought them out) has a very solid patent on the format and is pretty litigious.
Re: Magic the Gathering
Posted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:41 pm
by Nymphsong
Well, I guess I can kick around some ideas at this point,
My favorite Land: Volrath's Stronghold from Tempest
My favorite Creature: Bottle Gnomes from Tempest (followed closely by Birds of Paradise)
My favorite Enchantment: Necropotence
My favorite Sorcery: Hymn to Taurach (Wolf Picture)
My favorite Instant/Interrupt: Force of Will
My favorite Artifact: Ivory Tower
Did I get the major ones...?
I will probably start posting decks later...
Nymph
Re: Magic the Gathering
Posted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:35 am
by Jokingjoe
My favorite land: Mishra's Factory (You'd be amazed at how many games I've won with manlands)
Favorite Creature: Vodalian Knight from Fallen Empires--just pretty

Fave enchant: Control Magic--my, that's a nice creature you have there!
Fav Sorcery: Phthisis (in my circle, called 'syphilis'

)
Fav instant/interrupt-more of a fav combo--my brother loved to take Weatherseed Treefolk, berserk them, and then fling them after the fight.
Fav Artifact: meh=never really a heavy artifact player. I think Sol Ring was the only thing I played in almost every deck.
Re: Magic the Gathering
Posted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:39 am
by Nymphsong
Jokingjoe wrote:My favorite land: Mishra's Factory (You'd be amazed at how many games I've won with manlands)
And the fact that they are worth about $50/pop on the internet. I think I like the Snow Version the best.
Great card though...especially after a Wrath of God.

Re: Magic the Gathering
Posted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:16 pm
by Nymphsong
So, I am preparing a deck right now for Friday Night Magic in my local D.C. area. Anyone who has any recommendations feel free to chime in and let me know if it makes sense to them. If you are unfamiliar with "Standard" block play, well I think this deck could still hold its own in a "friendly" group atmosphere;
Lands: (23)
8xForest
6xMountain
4xStomping Ground
4xTemple of Abandon
1xNykthos, Shrine to Nix
Planeswalkers: (3)
3xDomri Rade
Creatures: (23)
4xElvish Mystic
4xCourser of Kruphix
4xFanatic of Xenagos
3xMistcutter Hydra
3xStormbreath Dragon
2xPolis Crusher
1xPolukranos, World Eater
1xXenagos, God of Revels
1xNylea, God of the Hunt
Other: (11)
4xMagma Jet
3xClan Defiance
2xDestructive Revelry
1xGround Assault
1xBow of Nylea
Sideboard: (15)
4xSkylasher
2xSavage Summoning
2xFade into Antiquity
1xBow of Nylea
1xPolis Crusher
1xVolcanic Geyser
1xGround Assault
1xStormbreath Dragon
1xPolukranos, World Eater
1xDestructive Revelry
Re: Magic the Gathering
Posted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:29 am
by Carlos Danger
I am like Joe on this. I love the game, but most of the people I played with stop 15 years ago. I collected mostly from Revised through mirage with a few packs I have bought in between. I tried to just start collecting about 6 years ago but keep getting sidetracked and then the kids were born and most of my money went there.
I will look up the cards though and see what the deck is about, I like all the combinations that Magic provides though I prefer have the cards in front of me instead of something like MTG online.