On turning 50 and traveling

~ General comments and discussion.

Moderator: Staff

On turning 50 and traveling

Postby Jezebel » Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:26 pm

I turned 50 this past January, and with the idea that I was now a half century old came the realization that if I didn't travel to see the places I had dreamed of visiting, I would be too old to enjoy them.

Next month, I will be traveling to Switzerland to hike the Swiss alps, see Reichenbach Falls, the Lion monument in Lucern, and other assorted areas of interest. Since I am flying to London (so I can visit my British friends), I will also take my first trip through the chunnel, renting a car in Paris, and driving down to Mount Blanc and later over the border into Switzerland. Hopefully I will remember how to drive a manual transmission!

I also did something risky - I invited a young wargamer to accompany me on my travels, in large part because he speaks French, and my Russian will be useless on this trip. But I also liked the idea of giving someone an opportunity to see part of the world.

Anyway, I wanted to share and to say - don't let age get you down. Embrace it and do something wild. I plan to!
Jezebel
Traveler

Re: On turning 50 and traveling

Postby Grunt » Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:53 pm

sounds like a great trip
You are right to travel while you can still enjoy it
I hope you have a blast
Grunt
Teacher

Postby bandit » Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:42 pm

enjoy yourself jez. i got 15 years before i can think about dropping everything to travel. i plan to retire at 55. and im 35 now. lol
_Nagash_ wrote:
The meaning of life is, make the road to death one big party.

RIP Dark Wolf, you will be missed my friend.
Crabs are a delicacy, but not when in your pants.
bandit
Traveler

Postby Jezebel » Tue May 29, 2012 7:13 am

I returned, relatively safe and sound. I'll never drive in Paris again, EVER. In fact, most of the areas of France left me pretty unimpressed until we reached Mount Blanc, which was beautiful and impressive.

Switzerland was awesome. I'd return to Switzerland in a heartbeat, even though it is an expensive place.
Jezebel
Traveler

Postby Grunt » Tue May 29, 2012 8:37 am

So glad you had a good time
Dont stop now there are corners of the world calling your name
Grunt
Teacher

Postby losmar » Wed May 30, 2012 10:30 am

Nice! Glad you could go and do something like that.

I did similar to finish university up, I went on a year-long study-abroad. I was driven around Paris once, that place is super-scary. I have only been able to 'visit' it once for a few hours but even then I did so with a good feeling; it was after a few well-needed drinks on a hot May day exactly 2 yrs ago yesterday. I was only able to get to within sight of Mont Blanc, but I did enjoy the view. My favorite pictures are of the time in those mountains. Did you get a chance to take many pictures of all that you saw and did?
losmar
Wayfarer

Postby Jezebel » Thu May 31, 2012 3:53 pm

I will NEVER drive in Paris again. Seriously, I'd rather claw out both of my eyeballs than drive through Paris.

I do have a bunch of photos, I bought a fancy camera for the trip :)

http://s1229.photobucket.com/albums/ee480/Dolomedes/

hundreds of photos!
Jezebel
Traveler

Return to Comments