Lost Lore Chapter Two {OOC}

~ This is our OOC forum for the Stories of Tonan play-by-post roleplay game. Information about characters, ideas for how to take the plot.. etc go in here.

Moderators: Staff, Roleplay Staff

Lost Lore Chapter Two {OOC}

Postby Sikil » Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:49 pm

Chapter One {OOC}

Sweet! We've gotten our first chapter done and finally away from that blasted city.

The valley that we're in I posted as if the life had been sucked from it from the travelling stone. The carts would have been what were used to transport the people of Acadia to the stone itself.

So where do we go from here?
"The church is near but the road is icy; the bar is far away but I'll walk carefully."
Stolen Sun Studios
Sikil
Traveler

Re: Lost Lore Chapter Two {OOC}

Postby Kaz » Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:41 am

So that people can join in now (if they want to create a brand new character for the purpose), you could have a small native population who survived whatever cataclysm befell Mo-Pri (assuming that's where you are).
Programming is 10% science, 25% ingenuity and 65% getting the ingenuity to work with the science
Wars of Tonan (Monarchy Inspired Miniatures)
Armatures for Sculpting Miniatures
Kaz
Administrator

Postby Topheh » Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:45 pm

That seems reasonable. Shipwrecked survivors as well.

Or both, really.
Topheh
Traveler

Postby Topheh » Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:47 pm

I'ma gonna find some bones when I wake up. Sikil, you have anything your character wants off his chest in a lovely exposition-while-the-others-sleep sort of fashion, or can I jump right to that?
Topheh
Traveler

Postby Sikil » Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:42 am

you can go right ahead, Topheh. I think it's going to be a while before Sikil realizes whats happened
"The church is near but the road is icy; the bar is far away but I'll walk carefully."
Stolen Sun Studios
Sikil
Traveler

Postby Topheh » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:59 am

I'm going to start this back up again, if nothing else because I want my main back from Mo'Pri :)
Topheh
Traveler

Postby Kaz » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:20 am

Interesting that we both thought of this thread today lol.

I was going to suggest that at a minimum, you return to the pillar and someone realises that there is a large glyph at the top similar to one of the zodiac constellations. Pick whichever you like from the TEN charter as I've not got around to posting a constellations thread yet.

http://www.evernight.com/guilds/index.php?guild_id=407

Note that I'm going to change the phoenix because I have no idea how that shape was supposed to represent one :) It's probably best not to pick the phoenix for that reason. I'd also not pick the fallen angel as that's where you just came from.

Once you've made that realization, hopefully one of you remembers what the primary glyph looks like on the stone on Raven Island. Then all you have to do is work out how to travel. Again, feel free to pick whatever glyph you want for Raven Island. Seeing the constellations could also make one of you think of using the stars to work out where you are currently located.

Maybe you could work your way through all the constellations trying to establish where each one takes you. Once the knowledge is out there you could spread the info around a town, and we could make an official set of locations for the ten primary travelling stones. For ease, they `could` be in a rough circle around all of Tonan in zodiac order. Based on the fact the wraith was around, the `Fallen Angel` stone is in the north of the Empire somewhere.

If you do this, once you've realised that the zodiac symbols are there, feel free to mention a load of other glyphs that you're not quite sure about, that way there is room for additional experimentation with the stones.

Also, be aware that at least one of the stones in under water. Travellers have been found dead and drowned next to the stone on Raven Island.

Discovering the locations of the stones, and how to travel could easily be considered 'Lost Lore'.
Programming is 10% science, 25% ingenuity and 65% getting the ingenuity to work with the science
Kaz
Administrator

Postby Sikil » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:45 pm

Okay, that is creepy. I was thinking about this thread while getting ready for bed last night and was trying to figure out how we could move on until Rhoslyn returned to us.
Stolen Sun Studios
Sikil
Traveler

Postby Topheh » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:58 pm

She fainted, obviously.
Topheh
Traveler

Postby Topheh » Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:10 pm

Sorry I vanished. Unexpected business over the weekend. I'll be posting shortly.
Topheh
Traveler

Postby Kaz » Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:54 pm

I wanted to make 2 comments, first regarding Azreal's comment on font colours. It's just the standard swatch that comes with phpbb, I'm not sure how easily (if at all) it can be changed (will take a look). But you're not limited to those colours. Any HTML colour code works as long as you prefix it with a hash symbol.
Code: Select all
[color=#{six digit html colour code here}]the text you're colouring here[/color]
If you want a different colour, pick one manually.

I'm not sure where you're going with the Travel stones, but the specific 10 that are linked to the zodiac will be mostly on Tismad (basically as that's the biggest continent). Feel free to impart any 'usage' mythology to them, but they go back to before the Elder Gods were born, to a time when the three continents were a single land mass, so don't assign 'creation' mythology to them. At least, these 10 original stones do.

The Fallen Angel stone is somewhere in the North of the Empire, underground. The other known stone location is on Raven Island (SW of the Free Cities), based on the order of the zodiac it's most likely to be the Tidal Wave (which is strangely appropriate as drowned travellers have been found near it). I'm happy to move the others around a bit if you want to try and re-arrange them to fit a better constellation with a specific location.

The order of the constellations begins with the Phoenix and ends with the Dragons Flame. In between are the Sword, Shield, Poet, Architect, Knight, Fallen Angel, Tidal Wave and Altar.

Based on this layout, you're probably at the north-western mo-pri stone (most likely to be the shield). The poet stone is the one placed on the eastern coastline of Tismad. That one is partially submerged. The Dragons Flame (based on this order) is the one that's completely under the ocean, between Tismad and Maxim.

I've only considered the 10 zodiac stones. I am also happy for a secondary set (and others if needed) based on another grouping of some sort to be created. One entirely based on Mo-Pri if you wish. I'd like to eventually come up with a decent travelling stones reference thread, once they've been mapped of course.
Kaz
Administrator

Postby Rhoslyn » Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:58 pm

Will try and get a post up as Rhoslyn in the next couple of days (just going to have her dreaming...or rather having a nightmare)
"Cut. Burned. Poisoned. Welcome to Defiance"
Rhoslyn
Lost Soul

Postby Azrael » Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:16 pm

My apologies. Being gone for so long I have missed a lot apparently. When Toph mentioned that travel stone, I was under the assumption it was something he had added for this RP, not that is was part of your restructuring of the world. I took a little liberty with their origin. We can correct that in the RP and give them the origin as you intended.
Azrael
Lost Soul

Postby Kaz » Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:35 pm

I added them as a way to allow easier access to the vast uninhabited regions, rather than months of trek roleplay required to get anywhere outside of eastern tismad.

I'm cool with there being more than 10 stones, I'm also cool with there being a whole additional selection of them on Mo-Pri. There being a selection of `newer` stones on Mo-Pri works to a certain extent because it makes it easier to 'work out' how to use them to travel if someone has knowledge of how another set work. These stones need some form of mythology, I just wanted to post my intent for there being an old long-forgotten set, before they lost an element of the unknown.

There is also the ring of standing stones on the Isle of the Magus. I added that without any real intention (was just making use of some map symbols for variety), so it could be linked to the original zodiac stones, the mo-pri stones or something else.

On the constellation front, feel free to add others. In the real world the zodiac are only a small selection of constellations visible from earth. The same would be true from tonan.

Somewhere a while ago I also made a start on a runic script. Can't find it quickly, but feel free to attempt to locate it and utilise it. I'll try and dig it out
Kaz
Administrator

Postby Kaz » Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:44 pm

Found them...

I was building a series of about 200 runes for an ancient script, and I'll pick 25 to 30 for a common runic script.

I was making the runes based on the spoken sound of a sylable. Each subset containing 15 runes similar runes

Vowel runes include: AY, AIR, AW, A, AAH, EE, EH, IH, EYE, OH, OO, OI, OW, UH, YU

Each consonent subset contains: _AR, _AY, _EE, _A, _ER, _OW, _OO, _Y, A_, I_, E_, EE_, O_, OO_, U_ (replace the underscore with the consonent sound)

http://monarchygame.com/images/tonan_runes_small1.png
Kaz
Administrator

Postby Azrael » Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:00 pm

Thanks Kaz. Well then this can still work out. Obviously Azrael is missing data on your special 10 stones. His knowledge of the "clerical" stones can still work into it, they just are linked to your 10 without anyone really knowing which actually plays into the whole mystery surrounding them and gives the story something to delve into. I had them pretty much created by Gods and the runes I described (for lack of a better word) as Vedic Sanskript which in out own earthly history is the language of the gods.

If anyone else has any input to make this RP flow along with my sudden introduction, please let's discuss.
Azrael
Lost Soul

Postby Kaz » Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:10 am

Going back to the last chapter of this roleplay, Toph, Rhos and Sikil didn't recognise the stone when they saw it, nor did they 'know' how to use it. It was pretty much accidental when escaping from the Wampyr (and then the Wraith) at the top of a tower built around the obilisk. That means that Azreal is the only character with any understanding of the stone.

Based on the map I just put together, and the `Shield` being the most likely location for you at the moment, and the fact they climbed to the top of the tower (Around the stone) before teleporting. It would make sense that towards the top of the 10 zodiac stones is a large inscription of the constellation of the stone itself, and also a smaller set of inscriptions for the other 9 stones in the set.

If someone was to realise that at the very top of this current stone looks like the `Shield`, and that they recall seeing a shield on the other stone and wishing for one to help out with their situation in the tower, just before they appeared here. That could suggest methodology for travelling between the 10 stones.

You'd not want to return to the Fallen Angel. For a start there is a wraith that can't be killed (for the purposes of future need in the storyline) that just took down a full blood Wampyr. Also, innate Sidhe magic didn't work very well around the corruption from the stone, and even if you made it past the Wraith. They were heading to the tower to escape a load of zombie-like creatures. So you'd be looking for an alternative. Someone could remember that there is a huge megalithic stone on Raven Island, but jumping straight there would be a little 'easy'. I'd suggest that although they know there is an inland stone, know that people have been found drowned next to it, but don't know which symbol is on it.

When you start looking at the nine inscriptions, someone could recognise the `Fallen Angel` as the symbol from the top of the stone that had the tower built around it. That realisation could lead to the realisation that the 9 smaller symbols are also constellations, that constellations where not to the key to the mo-pro stones, and the thought that there are likely to be 8 other stones.

You could then travel from one to the next until you find Raven Island. If you take the southern route e.g. Sword, Phoenix, Dragons Flame, Altar, Tidal Wave. Then you get to travel through the underwater stone (could be an interesting panic, return, then try again prepared scene). You'd also get to travel through Maxim (which could also be interesting)

Anyway.. Just some thoughts you might be able to use.
Kaz
Administrator

Postby Topheh » Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:34 am

That sounds good to me. Seeing Maxim again should be fun.
Topheh
Traveler

Postby Kaz » Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:03 am

What happened?
Kaz
Administrator

Postby Sikil » Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:06 pm

I dunno. Everyone just disappeared. Something I said?
Stolen Sun Studios
Sikil
Traveler

Next

Return to Plotting The Story [OOC]