Kissed by fire (OOC)

~ This is our OOC forum for the Stories of Tonan play-by-post roleplay game. Information about characters, ideas for how to take the plot.. etc go in here.

Moderators: Staff, Roleplay Staff

Kissed by fire (OOC)

Postby Hrafn » Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:07 pm

This is going to be a rather slow moving thread, but I will do my best to update it a couple of times a week. If you want to join in please be my guest but you might want to leave it a post or two so that I can move Hrafn from where she is to where she needs to be. Of course if you'd like to introduce a character before that just let me know so I can give you any details about geography or whatever that you'd like :)

The aim of the thread is to bring back an old character of mine and to send her out on a little quest to find something which will (hopefully) become clearer as I work my way through this.

Feel free to prod me if I go and make a daft mistake ;)
If I could change your mind, I wouldn't save you from the path you wander.
In desperation dreams, any soul can set you free.
And I still hear you scream, In every breath, in every single motion.
Burning innocence, the fire to set you free.
Hrafn
Lost Soul

Re: Kissed by fire (OOC)

Postby Topheh » Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:37 pm

Oh good. I always wondered what was going to happen next :)

I might create a new character and join you, as I don't think you necessarily want Toph showing up :)
Topheh
Traveler

Postby Hrafn » Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:52 pm

hehe That might make for an interesting reunion somewhere along the way ;)

You are more than welcome to join in, will hopefully get the 2nd post up in the next couple of days, then I can start moving her in the right direction-ish
Hrafn
Lost Soul

Postby Topheh » Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:19 pm

Along the way, certainly. At the moment I'm a little trapped underground trying not to get my throat clawed out by undead. :D
Topheh
Traveler

Postby Hrafn » Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:24 am

I have every faith that you'll find your way back to the surface Toph, after all I have it on good authority that you have a pretty good pair of travelling companions!
Hrafn
Lost Soul

Postby Topheh » Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:27 pm

Heh.

Anyways, think I'll bring back one of my old characters as well. He also went on a bit of a... quest.

Where would be a good point to introduce an old man into the storyline? :)
Topheh
Traveler

Postby Hrafn » Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:12 pm

Well there's about three starting points that I can think of off the top of my head, more than happy for you to start your character at any of them.

One would be to obviously run into Hrafn as she makes her way out of the desert and towards the cloistered community that she's being drawn towards. She's not going to hide herself, she just going for the straightest route from A to B.

The second option would be to be at the community (called I'naur A'baramin), but roughly it's a walled retreat of about 50-100 people, all ages, all races (you wouldn't want to be one of the community but you could certainly have come across it and be visiting there). It's fairly self-sufficient in terms of food but it will trade for other goods and tools. Their neighbours tend to view them as honest but slightly strange, it's as if they are looking at a slightly different world to everyone about them. They are known to seek out certain types of knowledge: mainly on portal magic, tales of Darden, Isonia and Foret, and information on a race known as the Anub-Re.

The third place would be to start at the library of New Nophyles who are said to enjoy close ties to the community at I'naur A'baramin. The library is run by the Lady Attarni Beleth, head scribe, an elderly human woman who enjoys listening to tales of the lands of Maxim before it fell. The other notable character here is an Eshu warrior-bard known as Sheanna who seems to have developed a fondness for the scribes. The library of New Nophyles entertains a visitor from I'naur A'baramin twice a year when they send one of their number there.

If you don't like any of those starting points I'm sure we can always put something else together. And if you want any more info on either I'naur A'baramin or New Nophyles just let me know :)
Hrafn
Lost Soul

Postby Topheh » Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:22 pm

I think the second one is probably where Mellanor is most likely to be found, given the storyline I have in my head for him. I'll wait for you to post a bit more, then try and slide my way into the story.
Topheh
Traveler

Postby Hrafn » Sat Jul 14, 2012 6:51 pm

Sounds good to me :) I'll hopefully get another post up for Hrafn on monday during my lunch hour (I'd normally go to the gym but am currently suffering the delights of an injured ligament).

I'll also try and get a proper description of I'naur A'baramin written up, it's mostly sorted out in my head, just need to go through my old rp and track down an old character name and then type my ideas for the place up.
Hrafn
Lost Soul

Postby Topheh » Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:10 pm

Hope it feels better soon!
Topheh
Traveler

Postby Hrafn » Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:06 am

I promise that the posts will get shorter and more manageable! Just trying to get a lot of info out and set down quickly at the beginning to sort out the character and the scene :)
Hrafn
Lost Soul

Postby Hrafn » Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:07 pm

Righty-o, will have Hrafn reach I'naur A'baramin in her next post.

Rough description of I'naur A'baramin

Set in fairly fertile farming country the cloistered community is made up of between 50-100 individuals of all races (bar Sidhe, Droben, vampire). It's mostly humans but there are a few elves and half-elves, dwarves, a couple of goblins, a troll, an ogre, an elemental (though she doesn't tend to mix with strangers), small group of centaur, and anything else that I take my fancy to as I rp the setting! If you want to add another specific race that I haven't mentioned just ask and it should be fine :)

The community is lead by a middle-aged half-elf called Alaran, he's fairly serious and reserved. He'll answer most questions put to him about the community barring why they are looking for specific types of information. if asked that he'll just try and change the subject. Physically he's your typical half-elf, slightly taller than a human, dark brown hair, he moves fairly elegantly but he'll never be mistaken for a pure-blooded elf. His hands are calloused because he does work alongside the others in the community.

The only other notable personality in the community for the moment is a very, very old human male called Eskil. He tends to spend his time sitting outside the main building enjoying the sun and not doing much. His skin is sunburnt and his hair is white, you won't get any sense out of him at all, but all the members of the community respect him greatly and treat him with honour.

Physically I'naur A'baramin is a farming community, mostly self-sufficient in terms of food. They grow and store their own grains, vegetables and a limited number of hardier fruits. They have a flock of sheep and another of goats for milk, meat and fleece. At any given time the majority of the community are scattered about the lands attending to their crops or animals, only about 5 stay permanently at the main building (two of them being Alaran and Eskil). The buildings that are scattered across the community are a mixture of stone and wood construction, practical but not pretty. The whole community is fenced off with a rather crude fence that stands about as tall as a man. Most of it is made of wood but the community are slowly working at replacing it with dry stone wall instead but so far they've only managed a few metres to either side of the main entrance.

Just inside the main entrance is the community's main (and largest) building. It's just about big enough to hold the whole group if they wanted to get together at once, inside it's open plan bar a room a couple of metres square in the far left corner which no one enters bar Alaran (it's also the only place to have a lock on it).

As a group they are welcoming and honest, happy to trade with their nearest neighbours (a couple of small farming villages a day's ride in either direction, feel free to name them if you want to have come from one of them or else I'll get round to it eventually). They're also happy to have people stay with them for a while as long as they work alongside the community. As well as items that they can't produce, they'll happily trade for scrolls or books relating to portal magic, tales of the Younger Gods and any information relating to a race known as the Anub-Re. Obviously the only things they have to trade with are items produced within the community itself.

The people in the nearby villages will be able to tell you that the community only formed just after the refugees from the isle of Maxim arrived in the lands. They'll describe the community as trustworthy but a bit odd, as if they see a slightly different world to the one around them. The villagers don't consider the community to be dangerous and they're not sure what ties the community together, they don't appear to be religious or hold to a particular ideology.

Think that just about covers it, if you want any more info let me know!
Hrafn
Lost Soul

Postby Topheh » Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:16 pm

*headdesks*

Oh my God. I am an idiot. I just tried to make an account for Mellanor (the character I'm going to be using here) and I totally hit the 'I'm under 13' button. Well, while I get *that* sorted out... one misplaced post from 'Topheh' coming up.
Topheh
Traveler

Postby Hrafn » Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:59 pm

hehe These things are easy enough to do :)

btw I'm going away for a week on saturday (off to not so sunny Cornwall!). I may have net access, may not, so if I disappear for a while it's just that the laptop either doesn't work or I am unable to wrestle it away from my brother and his facebook account.
Hrafn
Lost Soul

Postby Topheh » Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:49 pm

Oh, thats okay. I'm going away for a week come sunday, and will be in a similar situation. We time our vacations very well, you and I... :)

If you want any more background on whats happened to Mellanor, just let me know. He's got his own curse to deal with.
Topheh
Traveler

Postby Hrafn » Sun Jul 29, 2012 7:24 pm

Sounds like Mellanor is having an interesting old time of things too :) Cursed characters can be so much fun!

I will leave Hrafn just in sight of I'naur A'baramin for now in case you want to get inside before she does.
Hrafn
Lost Soul

Postby Topheh » Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:06 pm

Hey, you're not waiting for me to post, are you?
Topheh
Traveler

Postby Rhoslyn » Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:15 pm

No, it's ok, was planning to post earlier in the week but real life got on top of me. I'm up to my ears in paperwork from solictors at the moment as I'm trying to sell my flat in another region. Will try and get something up soon-ish
"Cut. Burned. Poisoned. Welcome to Defiance"
Rhoslyn
Lost Soul

Postby Topheh » Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:55 pm

No worries, take your time!
Topheh
Traveler

Postby Hrafn » Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:10 pm

Ok, got the post up finally. If you want to know what else Alaran said about Eskil just let me know as Mellanor would have heard it even when Hrafn stopped listening.
Hrafn
Lost Soul

Next

Return to Plotting The Story [OOC]