Out of darkness, into the Light (OOC)

~ This is our OOC forum for the Stories of Tonan play-by-post roleplay game. Information about characters, ideas for how to take the plot.. etc go in here.

Moderators: Staff, Roleplay Staff

Aeyliea
Explorer

Out of darkness, into the Light (OOC)

Post by Aeyliea » Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:18 am

It seemed to work for the other, maybe it'll work for me.

The thread is open in more ways than one - the setting is locked of course, into the northlands of someplace, mountains, forest, etc, perhaps late autumn. The eventual goal is to return to the ruins that Aeyliea originated from, seeking clues or perhaps something else amongst the halls of the dead.

I do not really care wjere or by what means the thread and story goes - I am pretty damn flexible about storylines in most cases. Additionally, the wraith mentioned by Kaz could be lurking about, and there is always the possibility of an encounter with Avantharose or any of his minions, and then of course there is a whole world of plot twists available, and I do not particularly care if the twists originate from my head or someone elses.

If anyone has any suggestions, thoughts, or wishes to join, feel free - but please do not join in unless you are ready to stay the course and not, under any circumstances, make me wait a week to be able to post again :D

Thusfar, these are the player characters involved:

Aeyliea - A woman apparently in her middle years, a warrior and a master of the sword. Former commander of the Kantorin Gaurd, a part of an empire that controled a vast section of the continent the story takes place on. Her memores since awakening are fragmented but returning slowly - it is not (cliche) amnesia but perhaps a by-product of something altogether different.

Hope - Not introduced yet, but eventually.

Avantharose - An antagonist, not to mention an arrogant bastard, that has dreems of godhead and conquest.

Non-player characrters:

The Officer: A military man in the service of Lord Jherrad, in command of a small expedition sent to the northernmost border of his liege-lords lands, chasing after rumors.

Lord Jherrad: Ruler and owner of the lands surrounding and bordering those formery held or a part of the city of Necrahol of Kantorin.

Places:

Jherrads' capitol (I will think of a name eventually!) Bordering the Necrahol of Kantorin.

Necrahol of Kantorin: The former capital of the empire Aeyliea served, destroyed by either natural calamity or sorcerous carnage. Little remains but some structures buried or subterenean.

--

I will likely add to the above list if anyone shows even a scrap of interest :)
Now nimble fingers, that dance on numbers / Will eat your children and steal your thunder;
While heavy torsos that heave and hurl / will crunch like nuts in the mouth of squirrels.

Yeah, its Seska. Start running now, bitch.

Topheh
Traveler
Tempers Ball/Braggarts Hall Alt: ThePheonix

Re: Out of darkness, into the Light (OOC)

Post by Topheh » Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:09 am

I'll join! Give me a little bit to pull together a character.

Aeyliea
Explorer

Post by Aeyliea » Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:07 am

Sure lol its about to get a little violent, but feel free. I'll refrain from posting again tonight to give you a chance to come up with something, and an entrance. I believe there are several easy ways in at this juncture ^^b
Now nimble fingers, that dance on numbers / Will eat your children and steal your thunder;
While heavy torsos that heave and hurl / will crunch like nuts in the mouth of squirrels.

Sikil
Traveler

Post by Sikil » Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:32 am

Thinking of popping in as well, though I fear my writing isn't up to par of yours.

Could I get a quick description of Taiene and its surrounding land?
"The church is near but the road is icy; the bar is far away but I'll walk carefully."
Stolen Sun Studios

Aeyliea
Explorer

Post by Aeyliea » Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:54 am

Taiene sits in a small valley sided by two shallow hills not more than five or six hundred feet high, with a small mountain river (perhaps thirty or forty feet wide) running through its center. It is a walled city of perhaps ten or twelve thousand people, and sports a garrison with a maximum capacity of a thousand soliders. Half are out of the city at this point, trying to beat off attacks in other parts of the Lords' holdings.

The walls are tall, perhaps twenty or twenty five feet in height and made of roughly dressed stone quarried in the mountains - mostly granite blocks the size of a man. There is a crenelled walk along the top, but it is narrow - as a principle city, it does not offer much, for the Lord who control it is merely a minor noble.

Inside, the streets are mostly dirt except for the main boulevards and those leading to the garrison from one of the three gates in the wall - the Mountain gae, the northermost, the River gate, which opens next to where the river runs under the walls to the south, and the Imperial gate, which leads out to the east. The structures within are wood, some stone, with thatch and a few tiled roofs. Some of the wooden houses have been burned down already from fired arrows of the encamping army. It should be noted that however provincial the town and its Lord is, the gates are still of thick, solid oak strapped with iron, with murderholes set into the stone walk above that peeks out far enough over the gate arches to pose a serious problem for anyone trying to batter the gates down.

The countryside, except for east and west, is mostly valley with the river. Closer in, it is all cultivated fields with scatters of farmhouses and small villages, with only occasional copses of trees and scattered patches of woodlands running through the valley. The hills are still forested, though generations of cutting for firewood have thinned the trees enough that an enemy could still camp beneath its branches and be seen during daylight hours.

The entire region is high elevation, if it makes and difference, and only a precursor to the rugged heights of the unnatural mountain range that punches through the surrounding plains, a patch sixty or seventy miles in diameter every bit as tall in places as some of the more fabled peaks of the world. Even around Taiene there are remnants of what once was, though most of it has been torn down, the stones carted off to make field walls and farmhouses.

At current, enemy disposition around Taiene includes camps of a hundred fifty plus on the high ground, with scattered groups of a hundred surrounding the city, particularly near the gates. Those forces on the high ground have set up trebuchettes to bombard the town, and those in the valley consist of kobolds and orcs, with giants for heavy infantry. There is one mage amongst the lot, though his location varies from day to day and assault to assault.

Aeyliea
Explorer

Post by Aeyliea » Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:54 am

Sorry, I know you said brief but 'brief' seems to be beyond me lolz

Aeyliea
Explorer

Post by Aeyliea » Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:44 am

A bit later on I will post again, and one aspect of it will give a better idea of condition ins the city, as well as introducing a new (read: NEW) character that I have been idly pondering over all day at work.

Consequently, the mage I mentioned above is not a he, but rather a she, and at this juncture I would prefer if no one interacted with it until I introduce the psychotic bitch in proper fashion. Which I may do tonight as well, to set the flavor.

Larit
Lost Soul

Post by Larit » Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:58 am

Took me a while to flesh out this character. Sorry for the delay.

Larit - a bandit and thief. Lost all of his group to an ill-timed patrol crossing their path. Master of the bow and quick with his daggers, he prefers to injure an opponent rather then killing them. An opportunist at heart, he will always go for easy heist unless pushed into a corner.

If I posted anything that screws up with the scene you've already created, let me know and I'll adjust it.

Aeyliea
Explorer

Post by Aeyliea » Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:06 am

Ha. To quote one of my favorite author's many characters, 'The wheel weaves as the wheel wills, and the pattern takes all life threads into the weaving.' There is nothing anyone can do short of hijacking the thread that I cannot weave into it, somehow. It just so happens I have A Plan. You are not the only character with a chip on their shoulder, after all :)

Sikil
Traveler

Post by Sikil » Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:17 am

Ah, the great Robert Jordan. Well, glad that I didn't screw it up then for you.... so going to let us in on the plan or just going to tease us?
"The church is near but the road is icy; the bar is far away but I'll walk carefully."
Stolen Sun Studios

Aeyliea
Explorer

Post by Aeyliea » Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:50 am

Give me about ten minutes and I'll have this post up. I never have a plan persay, excet for the next post, and it takes into account all the previous content, either mine or other peoples. As to the lone archer, it shall be....epic.

Aeyliea
Explorer

Post by Aeyliea » Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:59 am

I halted the post where it was, before the first arrow leaves the bow, so to speak, so that any wishing to join in on this bloody melee might have a chance.

Bon apetite!

Topheh
Traveler

Post by Topheh » Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:29 pm

I finally have mine as well.

Emrilsam- A bodyguard to a wealthy merchant... who was just eaten by the orcs and kobolds who captured them last night. Handy with a sword, but prefers the battleaxe, if possible. Currently quite a bit rattled at his complete failure to even detect the ambush that captured them.

Aeyliea
Explorer

Post by Aeyliea » Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:58 pm

Well, maybe I should add the names myself, to the next host of characters in my multitude. Like always :D

Anaster - A grubby little boy, orphaned when he was still young and miraculously still alive despit the tender young age he was left abandoned on the streets. A thief, and a vicious little brat beside.

Rei - A Mah'riel matron, currently among the many enemy camps surrounding Taiene with a very strong interest in the ruins in the mountains. Possibly has something to do with the invasion in the first place, and very much so has reasons other than the suspected ones for being there.

Kellum Tor - a mad little man in the service of Lord Jherrad. A sapper from some far distant country that made his way, over the course of his surprisingly long life to his current station. Kellum is....an alchemisty, of sorts, with a fascination for explosives and the potential uses for them. And he is quite thoroughly mad, though not the cackling mad kind of mad.

Jaesin Tor - Kellums older brother and companion. Whereas Kellum is sometimes swept up by the fancies of the moment, Jaesin is firmly rooted in the real world, as he sees it, and also sees it as his rightful duty to keep his brother alive, though half the time what his brother does scares the living christ out of him. And everyone else.

And now, for something completely different.

Aeyliea
Explorer

Post by Aeyliea » Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:28 am

Will move the thread forward more presently - permission from Larit to perform some actions to allow this, since they will be unable to post until tomorrow and I am bursting with creative skillz right now.

Aeyliea
Explorer

Post by Aeyliea » Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:23 am

Now let it degenerate into a bloody melee.

Any thoughts on where this is going so far, or any suggestions? Eventually, this will get turned into a 'quest' into the ruins in the mountains, unless someone here manages to throw it off that course.

Ah, uncertainty is so much fun!

Topheh
Traveler

Post by Topheh » Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:54 am

I like melee :D

Aeyliea
Explorer

Post by Aeyliea » Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:20 am

Better, bloodier melee is yet to come! And not too far distant in this stor,y me thinks. The supense is kill you!

Aeyliea
Explorer

Post by Aeyliea » Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:21 am

Will wait a bit more for Larit to post response, then continue on ^^

Sikil
Traveler

Post by Sikil » Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:51 pm

Sorry for not posting, had a funeral this weekend.
Stolen Sun Studios

Return to “Plotting The Story [OOC]”