Lost Lore {OOC}

~ This is our OOC forum for the Stories of Tonan play-by-post roleplay game. Information about characters, ideas for how to take the plot.. etc go in here.

Moderators: Staff, Roleplay Staff

Re: The Fall of Acadia {OOC}

Postby Topheh » Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:49 am

Hmm.... indeed. Perhaps we'll just need some Sidhe Voodoo to get us to the city proper, but then we can spend a little bit of time exploring the surface of Mo'Pri to find the Obelisk to get us home.
Topheh
Traveler

Re: The Fall of Acadia {OOC}

Postby Kaz » Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:05 am

These OOC threads are getting confusing lol. I've merged the discussion relating to this roleplay into this thread.

Well you'll already know where an obelisk is, as you'll arrive by one. Knowing how to use it to get home though is another thing. Initially there are going to be 10 travelling pillars, one for each of the zodiac constellations. If you go with my suggestions in the other thread, then you'll not be wanting to return to the other pillar you know of.

[edit] I posted those 'suggestions' in the wrong thread, have edited the post in the wrong thread, and my suggestions will follow this post
Programming is 10% science, 25% ingenuity and 65% getting the ingenuity to work with the science
Wars of Tonan (Monarchy Inspired Miniatures)
Armatures for Sculpting Miniatures
Kaz
Administrator

Re: Lost Lore {OOC}

Postby Kaz » Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:15 am

Some thoughts / suggestions

First off, if the underground travelling stone is in the tower, it's not going to be a small thing at the top of the tower. The tower must have been built around it. You've not at this point gone too far to notice that there is ae single square sided column in the centre of the room and that it gets ever-so slightly thinner as it goes up. One of you could even mention (at some point as you go up and realise its a huge obelisk) that there are markings similar to the shapes of some of the zodiac constellations (Phoenix, Sword, Shield, Poet, Architect, Knight, Fallen Angel, Tidal Wave, Alter, Dragons Flame). Based on a following comment, it would be worth making this the pillar of the fallen angel (although it'll need smaller markings for the other pillars).

Also, if you're about to get teleported to Mo-Pri, leave the wraith behind. There is only one, and if it comes with you then it's pretty much out of action.

The cavern needs to have always been a place of dark power. Otherwise it wouldn't have a stone in it. The vampire race came into the game after the sidhe stopped being an active race and I have been considering how to create the vampire from the sidhe. If the obelisk containing cavern corrupted some of the sidhe, then if might be worth using the location for the creation of at least some of the Wampyr. I dont want to go into huge detail in either thread as this is a part of the story that I need to give a lot of thought (which would slow you down), but if you introduce a large winged demon-like creature to the this thread, just before you get out of there it might be good. I'd use the winged creature to save yourselves from the wraith (but leave the outcome of whatever happens between them unsaid).

https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/ ... 0251_n.jpg

Perhaps, as you ascend the tower, things could become progressively darker/twisted, until you discover that your ghost/sidhe is actually an illusion masking a 9 foot tall winged Wampyr and your ascending towards it's lair.

-------

On another note, it's probably worth starting a new thread once your on the next chapter. There is no 60 post rule, but it's probably nice to keep to tradition to a certain extent and aim to start a new thread (chapter) after 50 to 80 posts or so.
Programming is 10% science, 25% ingenuity and 65% getting the ingenuity to work with the science
Kaz
Administrator

Postby Sikil » Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:01 pm

Was thinking along the lines that the tower was built around the stone as well. But as for the ghost, It was supposed to be the spirit of Lord Illusion. Since he hasn't come into the city however, if they do encounter the ghost again we could make it a wampyri in disguise.

The corruption of the stone would nicely explain what happened to the city, though.
"The church is near but the road is icy; the bar is far away but I'll walk carefully."
Stolen Sun Studios
Sikil
Traveler

Postby Kaz » Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:47 pm

I misread that last post. Where you were describing lord illusion 'on the tapestries', I thought you were referring a a flesh version 'in the room'.

If it gets darker and more corrupt as you ascend. You could find a Wampyr hibernating at the top. You could flee down the stairs before it wakes, only to discover the wraith coming under the door like smoke, trapping you the tower, and forcing you back up towards the sleeping Wampyr hoping to find some way out without waking it??

I was also thinking that when you realise you 'miles' away in Mo-Pri, you could try to go back but discover the wampyr awake and waiting so cancel the transport before you fully materialise, then try somewhere else but almost end up drowning because the stone is underwater, then decide it might be worth trying to learn more about them before experimenting further.

fixed that link above https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/ ... 0251_n.jpg
Kaz
Administrator

Postby Topheh » Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:29 pm

I like these ideas.

Actually, that might be an even more interesting reason for why Toph is losing his powers... Sidhe Vampire sounds... like something that would drain magic, and particularly the Art, in the vicinity. As we approach nearer and nearer to the lair, the difficulty grows and grows.
Topheh
Traveler

Postby Kaz » Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:19 pm

I'm thinking, that as Sidhe are basically magical creatures rather than flesh creatures, the effect of the fallen angel stone, over time, corrupted the magic of most variants of Sidhe, locking them into corporeal form and eventually creating the zombie-like creatures you found. As the Banshee are different from normal Sidhe in that their magic is already a bit darker and more attuned to death, They were effected in a different way becoming more powerful, but (like the zombies) also fixed into a corporeal form, and ending up as the Wampyr (or a proto-Wampyr at least).

Toph, as your character is a Sidhe, you'll need to decide what (if any) permanent corruption, short term exposure will do. Also, out of interest, what type of Sidhe are you? Nymph, Tuatha, Selkie, Banshee or Faerie?
Kaz
Administrator

Postby Topheh » Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:26 pm

Ah.... err... Type? We have types now? :D I just ignored those ;)

Looking at those, I'd say Tuatha, at least as long as you're planning on going with the descriptions that I find on the internet.

Permanent corruption sounds good, but I think I'll not turn full-zombie... that seems... less than ideal. Gives me another thread to start when this one is done to deal with that.
Topheh
Traveler

Postby Sikil » Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:17 am

So the door is shut but left a way for the wraith to get in. Left it up to you guys if the wampyr comes crashing down those stairs or if we have a moment to grab some loot.
"The church is near but the road is icy; the bar is far away but I'll walk carefully."
Stolen Sun Studios
Sikil
Traveler

Postby Rhoslyn » Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:00 am

Having been a long term Sidhe player too, I remember certainly rp'ing a catastrophe-type ending when Mo'Pri came to an end. I don't remember there being any world-wide specifics but I do remember rp'ing the devastation of my kingdom due to an unknown and unstoppable enemy and 'moving' my people over to Maxim en masse.

As for types, the main groups of Sidhe players have only ever identified ourselves as Sidhe before. True there were about two or three clans/lineages/whatever you want to call them who were really active. Toph, I don't suppose you have a copy of Azrael's old creation story/history of the Sidhe? It was written years ago, I might have a copy somewhere but it's probably on my laptop which is currently miles away from where I am.

Interesting idea Kaz on linking the Sidhe and the Wampyr, not two races that I would have ever put together (there again can't remember many wampyr characters on the boards from pervious years, one or two is about all.). They are two very different races though, very much opposites. I'm assuming though that vampires are seperate from the wampyr in the world, are they?
"Cut. Burned. Poisoned. Welcome to Defiance"
Rhoslyn
Lost Soul

Postby Topheh » Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:01 am

I do indeed! I was always sad we never really resolved Mede back then... a 'created' Sidhe seemed quite the excellent concept to play with, particularly now that I'm old enough to really engage with that concept!

(I would note that the point of a laptop is that you can *bring* it with you places... and then I will duck whatever you are currently throwing at me)

Let me see...

This is what I have, at least from my quick search of the thread. I'll skip Azrael's personal history, as I'm not entirely certain how much I want to bring in the consort-of-the-gods-Patron-goddess-of-the-Sidhe Maelstryx

I hope this doesn't come out ugly... pasting from notepad is... fraught with danger.

Yes Astavia, our magic . The magic bestowed on us by the Gods
of creation themselves. We do not peddle in the meek and
pitiful magic that resides in runes and powerwells. We do not
need your precious mana . Our magic is not something we have
to mine for, search for, it is not magic that needs the
assistance of outside forces to be weaved. We are magic
itself! Is it now obvious to you why we may be disturbed by
this? Perhaps not, thus I feel it is now time to give you all
a history lesson. Azrael now took a seat, he had stood long
enough. Taking a sip of wine, Azrael relaxed and began his
tale.

It is safe to say that to get the full understanding of what
we are now dealing with, I must start at the beginning. Many
of us know of a world, remember this world as our home. Now it
is spoken in hushed whispers, talked about as if it is a
heresy. Conversations kept secret as to not draw the ire of
agents and Voices of the current deities of this world. I for
one have never cared for our supposed gods of Maxim, and will
not keep quiet about the past. I am one of the few who
remembers. Azrael's eyes shot to Lyssia for a split second,
she was one who knew

This world was called Mo'Pri. This is the world of my birth as
well as the original place of origin for all Sidhe. We were
not created on Maxim, our current Gods were not even real
then. I must even stress that our current gods are there by
our own placement. They created nothing . This can all be
found in the Tismad.

I now will speak their names for be it accepted or not, it is
our history . The father Olander and his children Barnabas,
Angelique, and Leto. These are the Gods of creation, at least
when Sidhe are concerned.

It was told in ancient tomes and codexes, that the Sidhe were
the first of the God's creation, created even before the world
was. In a sense we are angels. Even for a God, the creation of
a world is taxing, thus the Sidhe were employed to aid in this
creation. Imbued with the God's magic itself.

These first Sidhe shared their thoughts with the God's and
each other. The binding force in all of it was the Art. Even
when placed upon the world to populate it they shared this
fabric.

Being so like the God's had its drawbacks. It was soon obvious
that the Sidhe were aloof and solitary like their creators.
Although blessed with immortality and the craft of the Art,
they did not populate the world as the God's had imagined.
Thus the other races were created, humans, elves, dwarves and
so on. These creatures did not share in the Art as we do.
Instead those inclined to use magic had to find it on their
own. In the ground, in the air, basically the residue of all
magic used in the creation of the world and the presence of
the God's.

It was then realized when the faith wars began on Mo'Pri that
those loyal to one of the three deities could ask for favors
and call down magic through their priests and temples. Again,
this was not akin to Sidhe magic, this was from an outside
source.

Through all the eons and wars on Mo'Pri, the Sidhe always kept
their magic and immortality. They saw magic being used left
and right by people who had no true knowledge of its workings
and no real control over it except for force of will and
spoken spells. Thus the Council was created, to keep an eye
over the use of the Art and its potential impact upon the
Sidhe. They were not vain enough to think no one should be
allowed to practice magic other than the Sidhe, as long as
they kept to drawing it from the Gods and from the world
itself, the fabric of the Art and its connection with the
Sidhe would be safe.

This brings us to Maxim. If the Sidhe were created by the
God's of Mo'Pri, how can they be here? This is answered
easily. The finding of this world by the the fleeing denizens
of Mo'Pri when it was destroyed was not done by accident. The
Sidhe had knowledge of this world long ago. There was a time
in the early days, when the mortals of Mo'Pri were still
trying to comprehend magic, that the Sidhe were hunted. It was
believed the blood of a Sidhe would aid in their weaving of
the early wild magic they employed. While we are powerful, we
have always been outnumbered in population. You can imagine
the carnage when a Sidhe village of say two hundred men,
women, and children was attacked by a horde of thousands of
humans.

This led to further isolation. Some Sidhe decided to create
hidden cities, deep in forests protected and hidden by their
collective magic. Some decided to leave their home entirely.
These Sidhe are what we know now as the natural denizens of
Maxim. Throughout the eons, these Sidhe had lost the memory of
Mo'Pri and know only of Maxim as their home world. However we
still share the same common bond, the same fabric of the Art.

Thus we come to today. The world of Maxim as we know it. There
are a few of us here who were part of the exodus of the dying
world not too long ago in the past and there are Sidhe who
have been here for eons.
Topheh
Traveler

Postby Rhoslyn » Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:18 am

Consider something heavy thrown at yourself Toph ;)

And besides it's an old, old laptop and I have limited space here!
"Cut. Burned. Poisoned. Welcome to Defiance"
Rhoslyn
Lost Soul

Postby Kaz » Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:03 am

The 'Wampyr' were originally intended to be the pure-blood vampires rather than 'turned' vampires like the majority of them. However, my thoughts for how the Wampyr could link to the Sidhe were more along the lines of how 'I' pictured the Sidhe, rather than how it turns out they've been imagined by the players.

The idea doesn't work as well for corporeal beings, as Sidhe could be turned the old fashioned way like the humans, elves, dwarves etc. If I end up splitting the Sidhe troops out into a new Fae race, then the Wampyr would no longer be linked to the Sidhe. An enforced and corrupt form for an incorporeal being capable of flight, makes more sense (Wampyr-wise) than a magical corporeal being being correupted and morphed into a much larger and totally different form.

Plus it turns out that this might not even be supposed to be a Sidhe city, Sikil's comment in the Sidhe thread suggests that I got the wrong impression and it ought to really be a human mage city?

Doesn't prevent the top of the tower having a hibernating Wampyr though, if you want it to. A corrupting influence like the fallen angel stone would probably attract them. There is also nothing to prevent the zombies from being created by the Wampyr. If you can turn the main races into vampires, you can probably take even more life force, and leave them as mindless undead too.

Btw, I've registered an account for 'The Wraith' so I'll post once appropriate. I'll give you a chance to reach the top of the tower and decide what's up there first.
Kaz
Administrator

Postby Sikil » Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:24 pm

We can go along with the idea that it's a Sidhe city. Lord Illusion was always taking different shapes anyway in his adventures so it would fit that he doesn't really have a corporeal form.
Stolen Sun Studios
Sikil
Traveler

Postby Kaz » Fri Aug 17, 2012 6:37 am

Sikil wrote:We can go along with the idea that it's a Sidhe city. Lord Illusion was always taking different shapes anyway in his adventures so it would fit that he doesn't really have a corporeal form.

Then - based on the fact that it seems most remaining Sidhe players don't consider themselves incorporeal - he's probably going to end up being a Fae (or remaining a Human - or any other race - capable of illusionary magic - which would include Sidhe).
Kaz
Administrator

Postby Topheh » Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:12 pm

Lets get this thing exciting, mmm?
Topheh
Traveler

Postby Kaz » Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:32 pm

You went for an awake Wampyr? This ought to be interesting.
Kaz
Administrator

Postby Sikil » Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:42 pm

... is it too late to jump to my death?

Hopefully bought Toph some time. A simple blink spell might help confuse it. Now if only Sikil knew how to do something more useful.
Stolen Sun Studios
Sikil
Traveler

Postby Topheh » Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:52 pm

Not interesting. Exciting! *Grins*

Umm... Sikil, random insane thought: What if the Wampyr is Lord Illusion?

Anyways, my current plans are as follows. I'm still going with the Wampyr is dampening Toph's magical abilities somehow. Whether this is a racial trait or something unique to this particular Wampyr is something I think we can leave for later, but my thought is that at some point the Wampyr is distracted and Toph's magic comes back barely into his control and he manages to activate the Stone and we're off to Mo'Pri.

How the Wampyr is distracted... well, two possible options. Option 1. We hurt it. Option 2. The Wraith shows up and the Wampyr starts paying attention to the larger prey.
Topheh
Traveler

Postby Kaz » Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:53 pm

Feel free to roleplay the Wraith entering the tower as you see fit. I'd start by noticing that the scratching stopped. As I put in the post OOC, I'll leave a 'from the wraith point of view post' until you've moved on. I don't have the time to become too integral.

Btw, if the Wampyr is Lord Illusion, he's going to die when the wraith gets him.
Kaz
Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to Plotting The Story [OOC]