Lost Lore {OOC}

~ This is our OOC forum for the Stories of Tonan play-by-post roleplay game. Information about characters, ideas for how to take the plot.. etc go in here.

Moderators: Staff, Roleplay Staff

Lost Lore {OOC}

Postby Sikil » Fri May 25, 2012 5:49 pm

OOC thread for Lost Lore.

Characters

Sikil - a young man, barely into his prime, who was struck with wanderlust at an early age. Makes his money carrying messages from town to town. No real combat skills, nor magic, just basic survival skills.
    Topheh - a Sidhe. Been loosing his ability to channel his magic since entering the tunnels.
    Rhoslyn - a dwarf who was 'tricked' into going into the tunnels by an elf. Pirate.

Storyline

Sikil fell into a hole while going through a 'haunted' forest. Open trying to leave through the hole, something dark and fluid-like tried to get in. A strange marking on the wall flared to life and he fell deeper into the tunnels, blocking that entrance. Topheh went looking for the missing delivery man and found him after entering the tunnels. The two began to work their way out. Rhoslyn, a female dwarf, was tricked into going into the tunnels looking for treasure by an elf and then discovers a hidden entrance on the side of the tunnel. The three meet up and an image of a man tells them that they were forgotten. The trio then go deeper into this new corridor that leads them to an underground city. The image of a man shows up and tells them about the city and the voice of that man is that of a voice that Sikil has been hearing. The city is Acadia and is full of the undead. Seeing a tower in the middle of the city, they head towards it, hoping to find a way out and maybe some treasure.

Thoughts, comments, suggestions, anything, welcome.

Feel free to jump in whenever.
Last edited by Sikil on Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The church is near but the road is icy; the bar is far away but I'll walk carefully."
Stolen Sun Studios
Sikil
Traveler

Re: Lost Lore {OOC}

Postby Kaz » Mon May 28, 2012 7:22 am

I posted this to Sikil when I saw he'd opened a new roleplay thread, and suggested he opened an OOC thread

Obviously this thread will go wherever Sikil and other posters take it, but these are things to think about for the future in any threads that start up.

If this roleplay is going to last, consider the following realities.

There is a singular wraith wondering about Tonan that has escalped the void. No more will come through until I'm ready for them to do so. It's unlikely that anyone will realise the wraith came from the void, nor has anybody heard of Adrastria (all records of her were expunged prior to the original Birth of the gods, when olandar was still alive and well).

The three Mortal Kings will need an eventual way to regain thier godhood, or at least knowledge of a way, learning about possible artifacts that might help them could be a way to go storyline-wise. If you wanted.

Eventually if we ever recreate a decent roleplay community, the three gods are going to have to end up on individual quests to the devistated regions of tonan e.g. Maxim, Mo-Pri and the Guildlands on the continent Tismad.

The most obvious articacts they would eventually search for would be the pieces of Dardens smashed Bowl. Alternatives to lead them on that quest via a slower means (which is better) could be Isonias Battleaxe, Forets Staff of Justice, or something left over from the prophets Diman, the aristocrat, or Mina the general. I already used Solas's staff in a roleplay which 'could' be tied to the weakening of the void that let the old gods back rather than becoming a god, so finding that wont make them immortal again, plus it's location is already known in a sense.

For example, if your roleplay was to uncover Isonia's Axe or Foret's Staff, the mortal kings could realise that if they ended up on Tonan, and the artifact you found also ended up on Tonan, the bowl that stripped them of godhood might be here too. If your roleplay uncovers an artifact from the prophets, or even older artifact from the first reign of the elder gods, it could be used for an even longer winded route to the quests for the bowl fragments.

It;s difinatley worth an encounter with the Wraith (which will need to survive for now)
Programming is 10% science, 25% ingenuity and 65% getting the ingenuity to work with the science
Wars of Tonan (Monarchy Inspired Miniatures)
Armatures for Sculpting Miniatures
Kaz
Administrator

Postby Sikil » Mon May 28, 2012 6:15 pm

Welcome to the rp, Topheh! I was actually curious if anyone would step in. Honestly didn't think anyone would join as the rp community seems to have dispersed, which is a sad thing. Role-playing in Monarchy was always one of the highlights of my days.
"The church is near but the road is icy; the bar is far away but I'll walk carefully."
Stolen Sun Studios
Sikil
Traveler

Postby Topheh » Mon May 28, 2012 7:36 pm

And mine. I took it to be a sign that the day I check back here after... oh... probably a 6-month absence, an RP thread had just started. I'm trying to get people from my other RP forum to come join us here... it won't be the same as the old group, and they won't necessarialy have the same ties to the game that we did, but... at least it'll be people posting... I hope.

Eager to see where this goes!

and even more eager to go artifact-hunting!
Topheh
Traveler

Postby Sikil » Mon May 28, 2012 7:45 pm

So am I. Its going to be unusual playing such a weak character, though. Used to playing someone with more then enough power to defend themselves and already a few posts in and Sikil has a broken arm, probably a concussion, and is probably starting to loose his mind :P

And the more the merrier. That way its hard to see exactly where the story will go and on those wild tangents we all love so much.

Btw, it might be cool if we stumbled upon some relics and artifacts from old characters we used to play. Kind of bringing them back to life in a way through their objects.
Stolen Sun Studios
Sikil
Traveler

Postby Topheh » Mon May 28, 2012 10:29 pm

Well, I can probably help to stabilize him a bit. I'm planning on having him lose his magic at some point as we venture further in... either as resonance with the runes or with... whatever else we find.
Topheh
Traveler

Postby Sikil » Tue May 29, 2012 11:06 pm

Sounds good except he doesn't have magic... he's as magic as a boot. The light that emitted from near his right hand in the second post was when he touched a rune.

btw, got bored and sketched up some runes... this is the one he touched and that are found on the walls.

Sometimes I just need to put what I see down on paper and this time, thought I'd share it.
Stolen Sun Studios
Sikil
Traveler

Postby Topheh » Wed May 30, 2012 3:21 am

Ah, no... Toph's magic. Hmm... will have to give this thought...
Topheh
Traveler

Postby Kaz » Wed May 30, 2012 6:36 am

Took me ages to find the post where I'd linked to these.

I made a start on some Tonan runes, however the one you drew doesn't match any of them so far.

You might find this helpful though.

I really ought to do the other half asap
Programming is 10% science, 25% ingenuity and 65% getting the ingenuity to work with the science
Kaz
Administrator

Postby Sikil » Wed May 30, 2012 8:29 am

Wow, Kaz, you've really put a lot of thought into this world. Might have to steal you away one day to come work for me :P

As for the rune, I call it one because thats the closest word in my head for it. I was thinking before its more just like a marking on the wall, enchanted with a light spell. Whether its actual magic in itself (as in if Sikil carved one, it would make light) or not, was going to ask you about that.

From what I can see (or find), no one has really delved into magic in Tonan. Sure, they use it, but its never really explained where it comes from and how it works. Was thinking that if these are runes of magic, would their actual names be good enough to help cast a spell?

For example a character casts a spell with a word, now is that word the name of the rune and has the same effect as in drawing it? Also if someone waves their hands about to cast a spell, are they making the shape of the rune to cast the spell?

Now, those were just thoughts when unfortunately I had time to think about it, but my main idea for the marking was like I stated above, just maybe someone's personal mark that was enchanted to act as a light source.

I know, I know, I ramble and go all over. Its what happens when you got twenty things on your mind at once :P
Stolen Sun Studios
Sikil
Traveler

Postby Kaz » Wed May 30, 2012 11:16 am

My idea from a runic point of view is to finish creating the list of sound based runes along with some important words that have a unique rune.

e.g.

*15 vowels
*15 slightly different versions of each of these sounds 'b, ch, d, f, g, h, j, k, l, m, n, ng, p, r, s, sh, t, v, w, y, z',
*plus special runes fro thes words 'tonan, intop, soma, numi, water, fire, rock, spirit, wind, elan, storm, blood, fog, life and death'.

Those would be the ancient tongue / magical runes.

Once I've finished putting together the ancient runic script I'll pick the most simple rune from each sound, add the vowels and that'll be the common script. Which is just writing rather than rune magic.

Spelling a magical word/phrase out in runes, or speaking/willing it from memory are the same thing so to speak. However speaking/willing the spell from memory you need some form of innate magical ability, writing it in runes or reading it from runes the power comes from the runes.

If you go by the suggestions in the maxim storyline, then magic actually comes from Intop (the sun), Soma and Numi (the moons) rather than the gods, so praying to them is not actually 'required'. In the end people can make thier own mind up about how magic works, but having loads of reference material can't hurt.

I've already worked out a basic core shape for the letters except for G and NG because I forgot them when I started the process. I've also come up with a few of the specialty runes for water, fire rock and spirit. But the other specialty runes dont yet have a shape selected, and yours doesn't fit.

Therefore feel free to give it whatever meaning you like, but if you chose to pick from tonan, intop, soma, numi, wind, elan, storm, blood, fog, life or death then i'll add it to the list.
Kaz
Administrator

Postby Topheh » Thu May 31, 2012 9:04 pm

Now *those* are cool.

Sorry for my absence, slight medical emergency (all is well). Post should be up momentarially.
Topheh
Traveler

Postby Sikil » Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:41 am

Thats what I love about rping about Monarchy, the role-play speaks to you.

Or I'm just weird.

So, at the beginning, I had no clue what was going on, what was happening. Now, I have a better understanding...

These are ideas that I've been stumbling over in my head. Feel free to say 'screw you' if you don't like an idea.

- the tunnels are a labyrinth built underneath a city that existed before the fall of the old gods (Barnabas, Leto, and Angelique) that connects ancient vaults, libraries, and crypts. The doors are hidden by spells or simply good stonework (a dwarf may be able to see through the facade though :P )
- the markings on the walls are runes enchanted with light and are the symbol of the city itself

add any ideas you have and lets make this rp fun.
Stolen Sun Studios
Sikil
Traveler

Postby Rhoslyn » Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:45 am

I haven't rp'ed in years but this is very good fun ;) And what you've put together so far sounds good to me Sikil.

Will see if I can put together a rough description for Rhoslyn here over the next couple of days. Feel free to tell me if I go and contridict myself!
"Cut. Burned. Poisoned. Welcome to Defiance"
Rhoslyn
Lost Soul

Postby Sikil » Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:40 pm

Okay, but you've already contradicted yourself... you're playing a smart dwarf j/k.

Glad to have you on board. Lets see if we can help revitalize the role-playing community here.
Stolen Sun Studios
Sikil
Traveler

Postby Kaz » Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:25 pm

Rhoslyn wrote:I haven't rp'ed in years but this is very good fun ;) And what you've put together so far sounds good to me Sikil.

Will see if I can put together a rough description for Rhoslyn here over the next couple of days. Feel free to tell me if I go and contridict myself!

Nice to see you post again after so long.

Still want you to bring back everyone's favourite elf :)

Rhoslyn sounds fun too though
Kaz
Administrator

Postby Rhoslyn » Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:07 pm

Kaz wrote:Still want you to bring back everyone's favourite elf :)

Who do you think got Rhoslyn into her current situation in the first place? ;)

On topic, don't mind the dwarf, she's just going off to find something. I hope you don't mind Sikil, but your earlier post in this thread about finding old relics of our previous characters got me thinking (and reading some rather old rp too!).
Rhoslyn
Lost Soul

Postby Topheh » Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:47 am

Yay! We're now three!

I like the tunnels idea, and the idea that it predates the Fall places it at a very exciting period of time.
I'm still planning on having Toph slowly... or less than slowly... lose his magic the longer he stays underground. This will especially concern him as the story he has been told about the Sidhe is that they are, in essence, magic incarnate. I'm still toying with other ideas of how this will progress, whether Toph will actually grow physically weaker (confirming the story) or not (casting doubt on the story), and what, exactly, might be causing it... but I figure it has something to do with the runes :D

Onward into the tunnels!
Topheh
Traveler

Postby Sikil » Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:11 pm

I figured the tunnels idea would let us find some artifacts or even just some lost lore (lol as in the title) that could lead us anywhere.

[edit]Added in a part for Rhos to reply to. Was thinking the tunnel that opens up from that door leads to the 'inner city' as it were. Whats in the rooms is up to you. Maybe just guard rooms and living quarters.[/edit]
Stolen Sun Studios
Sikil
Traveler

Postby Rhoslyn » Fri Jun 15, 2012 5:15 am

Cheers Sikil, that looks good to me. I did want Rhoslyn to just find somewhere where the oridinary people would have been. A guard room/living area is absolutely perfect :)

I'll try and get a post up from Rhoslyn later today, might be this morning, otherwise not till this evening.
Rhoslyn
Lost Soul

Next

Return to Plotting The Story [OOC]