The Game

~ OOC forum for the Conquest (Solo) version of the Massacre game, and the Bloodbath (high turnrate) version of the Classic game.

Moderators: Staff, Game Staff

The Game

Postby Kaz » Sun Sep 27, 2009 4:35 pm

Teanos is currently tweaking the current Canon codebase to run on this server. The main changes are in the account system, so the games will be as remembered.

I am working on a slight modification of the Massacre/Unity/LQS codebases, effectivly doing some tidying that should have been done a long time ago. Once that is done, we'll switch over to another new account / portal system. It is already partially developed, so I would expect to see it in place by the end of the first age.

I was thinking Guilds and Massacre to start with.... opinions?
Programming is 10% science, 25% ingenuity and 65% getting the ingenuity to work with the science
Wars of Tonan (Monarchy Inspired Miniatures)
Armatures for Sculpting Miniatures
Kaz
Administrator

Re: The Game

Postby Imo » Sun Sep 27, 2009 8:04 pm

sounds good =)
The enemy of the enemy is my friend.
Imo
Wayfarer

Postby Dauthi » Sun Sep 27, 2009 8:25 pm

Kaz,

I've already express this concern with SD, so I might as well post it here. I'm sorry if it seems negative.

I think you guys are being completely moronic by bringing that game over here in any form of its current self. Taking the story sure, a story is always good to have, but to put up a version, even a cleaned up version of that game will make this site nothing more then the "next" version of enight. Not a site on its own. Now if your going for "the next enight" why not just stay there and clean up the site? Why go through the trouble of starting from scratch?

The arguement for bring it over is "we just want to keep the community together". Fine, keep it together over there, clean the code up for over there. Start fresh here, new game, new rules, new everything.

/rant
Dauthi
Traveler

Postby Kaz » Sun Sep 27, 2009 8:48 pm

Dauthi,

The game is coming here because it was that or it dies completely. Dustin doesn't have the time, and Brian and myself had already stepped away. Sure, James would have run the who thing by himself, but I reckon he'd not last the year on his own before he too stepped back.

There are things about Tembers Ball and Canon that I would need to change in order for me to consider spending time on the site again. Things that could never be changed without destroying parts of the bonds that tie it together in some ways.

This is not about keeping the old community together, that's what TB is for and why it's remaining. I'd call moving the game here the opposite of trying to keep the community together. This is about keeping the basics of the game in existance, and creating a new community that is more appropriate for a gaming site.

As for the reusing of the code. The closure announcement was not anticipated. I have not been in the mood recently for coding, so this is not an ideal situation for me. The last thing on my mind at the moment is writing an entirly new game, when we have one available to us anyway.
Programming is 10% science, 25% ingenuity and 65% getting the ingenuity to work with the science
Kaz
Administrator

Postby Kaz » Sun Sep 27, 2009 9:53 pm

One other thing to consider...

Ages or Instances?
Kaz
Administrator

Postby Wretch » Sun Sep 27, 2009 10:01 pm

At the end of Shareplay, there were trepidations about change, concerns about the death of the game, and doubts about the validity of continuing in a similar format.
That was in Autumn of 2000, and here we are 9 years later, with another opportunity to recast the script without constraint as to the ultimate destination.
Nine years is an online gaming eternity, so I would not worry too much about where this thing is going to end up right now.
Evernight sure didn't end up resembling the early semiplayable modules of Godsign =P
I'm looking forward to the next evolution of this idea, wherever it goes. I just wish I had more time to be active.
I'm carrying full-time work and full-time school for the next year and a half, so I'll only be around for occasional walk-on parts until school concludes.
Mostly I just wanted to say thanks for persisting where others would give up or give in.

As an aside, it might be worth ditching the gods of Monarchy and going for new team definitions, in the interest of having some of the transfers leave old baggage behind. I know that spending lots of time writing up full mythologies is not on the agenda for the present, but even new placeholder names with dummy text philosophies would do for a start.

After all, the past is unchanging, but the possibilities of the future are limitless.
The Golden Horde - All war all the time
You know how this thing ends, right? They all die.
Wretch
Lost Soul

Postby Dauthi » Sun Sep 27, 2009 10:02 pm

What do you mean by instances?

I"m assuming your mean ages like the old way of doing things, were you reset ever 2 months.

and the only -other- way I can think of would be a "game" is opened and ran a period of time then closed to new realms, and runs it corse as a LMS/LGS style, while other "games" open up either shortly before or after the other game cloeses, if thats the case, then my vote is that cause then I'd play again. Gives killing people a reason.
Dauthi
Traveler

Postby Wretch » Sun Sep 27, 2009 10:12 pm

A more randomized ending than a mechanical every 2 months might be interesting.
2 months is often too long when the player base is small.
If the game is pretty well decided 3 weeks in, don't be shy about declaring a winner.
Random team placement might not be all bad either - make some new friends, ya knobs!
The Golden Horde - All war all the time
You know how this thing ends, right? They all die.
Wretch
Lost Soul

Postby Kaz » Sun Sep 27, 2009 10:13 pm

That is what I meant by instances.

E.g

Open a guilded game.

* 1 month later *

Turn off applications and restarts, leave game running

Open a new guilded game.

.. continue
Kaz
Administrator

Postby Nether » Sun Sep 27, 2009 10:14 pm

I like the random ending to an age idea, would help keep things from getting stagnant. The random placement also has merits.
Psychos don't explode when sunlight hits them, I don't give a f**k how crazy they are.
Nether
Elessar

Postby Nether » Sun Sep 27, 2009 10:16 pm

So you have game one, game two, game three etc etc, all with different starting and reset times?
Psychos don't explode when sunlight hits them, I don't give a f**k how crazy they are.
Nether
Elessar

Postby Dauthi » Sun Sep 27, 2009 10:21 pm

Nether,

Think

Game 1 - 1 village per person, Speed 1(3 turns an hour), max 125 turns, Guild allowed, limite 100, NPP 250 turns, Normal moral (hitting up and down).. yadda yadda. - After 2-2½ months, its closed to new players joining and once your killed you can't rejoin the game, it runs till there is only one alive village.

Game 2 - 2 villages per person, speed 2(6 turns an hour), max 250 turns, no guilds, Npp 250 turns, No moral, - after 2-2½ monts its closed to new playing joining...

Game 3 - opens shortly before game 1 is closed, its similar to game 1 but instead of speed 1 its speed 1.3(3.9 turns an hour) max 150

so on so forth...
Dauthi
Traveler

Postby Nether » Sun Sep 27, 2009 10:23 pm

Thats what I was thinking, but I figured i'd ask anyway.
Nether
Elessar

Postby Dauthi » Sun Sep 27, 2009 10:27 pm

If they go that route, I'd rejoin, even if its just me myself and I.

Each game set could techically be orignal, and an game(world/age) would offically have a winner. No "well this team was on top when we reset"
Dauthi
Traveler

Postby Kaz » Sun Sep 27, 2009 10:31 pm

The first game(s) will be age based.

Once I have a combined version of the game code running out of my basic game portal then instances are a very real possibility.

Another real possibility - if I can do it - would be to have instances set during the five era's.

Angelique, Barnabas and Leto (Gods)
Angelique, Barnabas, Leto and Oleana (Gods)
Mina, Diman and Solas (Prophets)
Foret, Isonia and Darden (Gods)
Angelique, Barnabas and Leto (Mortals)
Kaz
Administrator

Postby Imo » Sun Sep 27, 2009 10:34 pm

random game settings would be nice
The enemy of the enemy is my friend.
Imo
Wayfarer

Postby Nether » Sun Sep 27, 2009 10:35 pm

That would open a world of possabilites RP wise.
Nether
Elessar

Postby Vox » Mon Sep 28, 2009 12:51 am

What about solo? I don't remember many playing it when i stopped a while back.

Just curious if there will be one.
"Nindyn vel'uss kyorl nind ratha thalra elghinn dal lil alust"
Vox
Wayfarer

Postby Shredman » Mon Sep 28, 2009 1:11 am

awesome man.... get with me if you guys need any help paying for this thing.... also take the drobens outa solo please lol
Warlord Death in Effect
Shredman
Explorer

Postby Nagash » Mon Sep 28, 2009 4:18 am

A guilded game and a solo game would be a good start I guess. So yeah, Massacre and Guilds, or Solo and Guilds, a combination like that would be good.

I like the instances idea, though there is the risk that if killing the last people off may take too long and a manual reset may be necessary anyway. Consider introducing the instances and setting an randomised ending period (e.g. three to twelve days) for it. Choice of the length of the ending period at the admin's discretion to keep it randomised.

Also, renaming the gods, revamping the races and overhauling terms like "age" may be in order. All probably on the longer term, but we're patient people :)
If word gets out that I'm missing, 500 girls will kill themselves and I wouldn't want them on my conscience - not when they ought to be on my face!
Nagash
Master

Next

Return to Conquest & Bloodbath