Protips on War XIII : Restore

~ This forum contains all topics that the New Player's Area Club has flagged as containing essential information for any player wishing to learn the fundamentals of being the best possible player of Monarchy. Any thread in this forum contains information that goes above and beyond the normal 'helpful' response.

Moderators: Staff, Game Staff

Protips on War XIII : Restore

Postby Nymphsong » Sat Nov 01, 2014 9:30 am

So, it has been a while since I last posted in this thread, but as you can see, I have found a new topic for discussion. The ability of Restore can be used to get you back in the fight and enjoy a good first strike against the enemy in kind. One of the things I kept seeing last age was Restore used in conjunction after turning a large realm into a parking lot. I have a prime example so I will simply use that to make my point. Last age, NIR quickly became the largest guild and from then on enjoyed a variety of advantages to include scum walls, good defense backed by forts, and regular fog. I fondly remember having a 40k acre kingdom that was over 90% built. It took the guild of TRR over 200 turns to crack the scum wall, burn the temples, and then Hurricane the realm into submission. I quickly realized that using the realm for any offensive action would be mute. That said I still had over a 1k Train rate, 50 mil cash at my disposal, and over 100 turns when we made our first counter the following night. I left my war broken realm out to immediately counter and cause damage to our opponents taking down a smaller Elf Realm set all scum defense...this might have seemed a small contribution, but it did have an effect on the overall course of the war. My large realm hired Dragons and then set as an anchor as allied realms busted up the top two heathen realms. Lastly, I sent as much cash as I could to my allies. Then, I restored on my terms, knowing it would be prime time for me and I would be back in 48 hours. I came out of Restore and pummeled several realms...oh and my realms went from 40k to 27k acres, a mild loss, but I was still the "best" built realm on the battlefield upon leaving restore, this structural advantage as well as a mini first strike ultimately led to the other guild's defeat whether they realized it or not.

What is the most effective race during a restore? I would have to say either Droben or Elf. I have drawn two conclusions about Restore and (I am really hoping Kaz lets this slide as it is actually a great strategic component to the game). I actually DO NOT want the code to be amended, fixed, etc. Let's talk about what you cannot do in restore, attack. That is simple enough. What can you do...marginally build and marginally raise troops and inspire cash. The best plan is to take those initial turns and inspire devotion and get as much cash as you can (if you know you will be returning to a battlefield.) Then use encamp liberally...you cannot be attacked, get that full 24 hours and get plus 10 turns! This should be calculated into your backwards plan to get to 150 turns.

Back to those two races...what makes them so special in Restore...lets talk War. I cannot declare war...but if I had any pre-existing alliances when I hit the restore button (not by kill), I can hire a bunch of offensive troops and still be an anchor...while in restore. So, the answer is simple...Droben has the most powerful offense...so Droben clearly makes the best race for this hidden alliance while in restore feature. What about the Elf...of this is where the Elf shines. Guess what an Elf can do that no one else can while in Restore...Fog other realms...the defense that keeps on giving. This is a glorious feature...I have used both of these tactics before and there are other little hidden restore tricks that others out in the community know, but I have agreed not to speak on the topics as I do want to give up everyone's tricks of the trade, just mine. Others are welcome to post on their own while in restore experience.

If in peace, simply build those turns and then save the rest for a full 150 the hour you come out of restore while still using that Encamp button liberally. That ensures you get maximum effort for the restore.

Remember, typically, a Restore is 48 hours from start to finish for a realm that is mangled and restores, while a killed realm is 72 hours.

One final thought. If you were burnt and you are big and you are a moments notice from being sorc killed, ensure you die with zero turns in the bank, I also did this last age. (Really ruined the party for the heathens.) I came on and found my realm then...killed. I immediately restored, oddly I got a free starting package of turns...like 44 or something like that...seems small especially with a half build rate...but its actually...in effect free turns...(even if you are coming back a bit smaller).

That's it for this, just some free advice...and if you have something else you want to add...by all means. Also, understand that some guilds like to do their restores collectively in order to ensure proper strike together...if in a guild...its not an entirely bad idea...but I am more about turn advantage...I can issue orders via scribe pretty well...I don't need everyone on at the exact same minute. Once again this is more of a leadership challenge than a restore issue.
Nymphsong
Nymphsong
Explorer

Re: Protips on War XIII : Restore

Postby Kaz » Sat Nov 01, 2014 11:10 am

For the most part, I think that I can leave most of the Restore `exploits` in place and officially say that they are undocumented tactical options, rather than illegal bug exploits.

Except for the ability to provide offensive and defensive assistance to allies during the process. I must say that I hadn't even considered that assistance was working, and I don't think it's appropriate to have protected kingdoms able to provide military troops.

[edit] That's now been patched out [/edit]

With regards to the other bits.

1. The ability for Elven kingdoms to set fog remotely, it's only a saving of 2 turns (per day) for the recipient kingdom.
Official policy is that this is allowed.

2. Using `Log Out` in order to boost the number of turns generated while in RPP. I don't see anything wrong with this.

3. Getting a few free turns by using up your turns just before being killed. Again, I don't see any real problems with this, you'd get a full set if you restarted.

I'd appreciate it if people could send me a PM mentioning other unintended and undocumented tactical options that can be done with restore so that I can decide on whether they need to be patched out or not.
Programming is 10% science, 25% ingenuity and 65% getting the ingenuity to work with the science
Wars of Tonan (Monarchy Inspired Miniatures)
Armatures for Sculpting Miniatures
Kaz
Administrator

Re: Protips on War XIII : Restore

Postby Nymphsong » Sat Nov 01, 2014 11:15 am

We bow to your infinite wisdom :)
Nymphsong
Nymphsong
Explorer

Return to NPAC Elite