Protips on War X : In-Between Wars

~ This forum contains all topics that the New Player's Area Club has flagged as containing essential information for any player wishing to learn the fundamentals of being the best possible player of Monarchy. Any thread in this forum contains information that goes above and beyond the normal 'helpful' response.

Moderators: Staff, Game Staff

Protips on War X : In-Between Wars

Postby Nymphsong » Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:18 pm

Part X -- Managing the In-Between Wars

Managing the time in between a war can almost be as challenging as managing the time during a war. This can be easy (if you just won a war) or very difficult if you just got stomped. Players like soldiers in real life tend to run on this tricky thing called motivation. Keeping your group of fellow players motivated is probably the biggest key to high turnout for chats, and active playing overall. If I had a turn for every three turns wasted due to inactivity…how many times…
What drives a GM crazy? Survive the war…then let your kingdom set for a week with no activity…all you are doing is setting your guild up for failure…be fair to your GM…give him a message of what is going on in your life before you abandon him. If his guild is having RL issues, he can then turn to diplomacy to attempt to thwart attackers from preying on his inactive guild at least for a few days. And most GMs understand the situations because they have been there themselves.

So, what is the in between war? I define it as the number of turns or turn sets between the conclusion of a war or startup of the age and the next war. During this period, your guild should…be building, saving cash, and preparing defenses in such a manner as to make life miserable for whoever wants to attack you…become the hard target.
As stated in another thread, your next war should always be on the banner or in a scribe to your fellow guild mates. And if possible (fellow faith mate guild leaders). I recommend two to three build cycles plus one additional turn set in between wars (as a guideline to keep a guild active and on the offensive as opposed to the defensive).

So if we have 2-3 turn sets, what should my players be building? First we need to consider the Buildrate. (As pointed out in other threads 16-20 seems optimal.) If you are not there, this is your first priority. Next, ensure you have enough temples to stop power sorcery kills. Next, ensure you have enough Barracks so that after you have 1.5 times your current land, you can conduct a proper refort without needing 90 turns. There is so much advice out there on building, as long as you are building evenly, and working diligently to get your realm war ready, (a healthy mix of permanent (Barracks, Hovels, Quarries) and perishable structures (Guildhalls, Temples, Forts) you should be ok. The basic thing to do is look over your turns allowed (300 or 450 in this case) and decide what you want to build. Here is an example…you just got of a war with your Droben, and you helped to mash a lot of kingdoms.

Land: 27,357 Acres
Build Rate: 10
TimoTon – 1,083
Baklavs – 1,344
RumaNa – 3,861
Waterfalls – 5,261
Enclaves – 1,250
Arches – 763

Your Guildmaster has decided that your next war chat will occur in 8 days, exactly. You finished the war just as you got peace with zero turns. So you need to do some backwards planning. 150 for war. That leaves you 6 Days for turn accumulation and building. Given, that you will be needed as a breaker and anchor in your next war, the GM has told you NOT to DS any land. This leaves you with a BR of 10 (which we all know is not ideal.) So how can you maximize turns and time? Encamp 24 hours (+10 turns), then Encamp 16 hours (+7 turns). That’s 17 turns, and huge, will get you those maximum turn set much faster than normal accumulation of three per hour. You also note that you have 13,795 open acres, and it would take a BR of 31 to complete construction in three build cycles…which is essentially what you have. After all the math is said and done…you have about 450 turns and some change (based on encamps for scouts, resetting ambush, fog, shields, summons, etc.) So, the first thing we need to do is get the Build Rate up…desperately. So you ds, all your defensive troops, most of your scum and attempt to get the build rate up. The first 22 Turns are used getting from a BR of 10 to 12. After 22 Turns you have 5481 Waterfalls and a BR of 12. You then spend the rest of the turn set (114 turns) building to a BR of 14. The remaining turns are used to refort your scum and defenses. You now have 6,849 Waterfalls. After doing the same cycle we move to your second build cycle. Once again you downsize most of your defenses and scum in order to maximize cash growth and prepare for war. In order to get a proper refort you realize you will need about 20 turns. That leaves you with 130 turns for this build set. Getting to a 16 BR is next on your list…and you immediately set out to accomplish your goal. You are short a BR of 16 by 1,359 structures. So after another 98 turns, you now have a BR of 16 and 8,212 Waterfalls. So, do you push for a BR of 18…or do you settle? In this case I settle, time is my enemy and I still need to shore up my pitiful amount of barracks and other structures. With that said, you still have 32 Structures in this build cycle. So, let’s try and improve our cash on this remaining build. You elect to build 167 TimoTon, 156 Baklavs, and 189 RumaNa. You then refort. Your last build will be complicated, you need cash…and structures…compromise is necessary in order to make your realm war ready. But after two builds let’s look at what we have already accomplished.

Build Rate: 16
TimoTon – 1,250
Baklavs – 1,500
RumaNa – 4,050
Waterfalls – 8,212
Enclaves – 1,250
Arches – 763

Your last build cycle will need 18 Turns for refort and 32 Turns for Sorcery (Inspire Devotion) to get more cash ready on the realm in order to go to war. So, like before, you DS your defenses and go to work. You have 100 turns for building. What do you need, more Arches…yes, more Enclaves…yes, and more RumaNa…obvious Yes. You know that you cannot maximize everything, but you can invest enough to ensure, that the defenses are at least formidable. With 100 turns you can build 1600 structures. You decide you need 237 Arches, 250 Enclaves, and 1113 RumaNa. So what is the building order? I always recommend the RumaNa first then the Enclaves. Then you reach the point where you can build the Arches. This is where I pause. I go and Inspire Devotion 16 times to generate cash prior to building the forts…why? Well…forts eat up expenses available…without them on the ground yet…you at least can get some extra cash. Then I go and finish the forts. What it my final realm look like?

Build Rate: 16
TimoTon – 1,250
Baklavs – 1,500
RumaNa – 5,163
Waterfalls – 8,212
Enclaves – 1,500
Arches – 1,000

Is this realm perfect…no. But is it in a good position to better train troops, resist counterattack, and actually function? Absolutely. Your train rate for troops is over 3k, your BR is 16 and your temples are high enough that after a good first strike, they should be sufficient to thwart a power sorcery attempt. Also, you now have enough forts in place to support your Opulents, helping to ensure your realms survival against full bore attacks.

So what else should we consider? How about a defensive posture? If you can, always try to maintain enough scum, so that should a top realm try to scout you…they are at minimum seen. At the same time, keep enough defense that the enemy has to think twice before attacking. I recommend 50% scum and 50% going into your big (T3 or T4) troop defense while under 20k acres. Over that, you can start to look at hiring more (T1/T2) defensive troops to prevent GR of Scum.

What else can you do during this down time (Well go check out the bounties section). Get your Sorcerers (Elves, Vampires, Fae, Sidhe) that land the old fashioned sorcery kill, claim bounty way…they too can prevent forest fires. :P

There is other stuff that can be done in between, role play, threads…voting for Monarchy…etc. but those are more outward game and I am trying to define how to best manage your realm. (Although everyone should be doing that seeing how often they all want to log in and play…they obviously enjoy the game…perhaps a vote or two couldn’t hurt).

Nymph
Nymphsong
Nymphsong
Explorer

Return to NPAC Elite