Protips on War VI : Communication

~ This forum contains all topics that the New Player's Area Club has flagged as containing essential information for any player wishing to learn the fundamentals of being the best possible player of Monarchy. Any thread in this forum contains information that goes above and beyond the normal 'helpful' response.

Moderators: Staff, Game Staff

Protips on War VI : Communication

Postby Nymphsong » Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:13 pm

Part VI -- Communication

So, let’s talk communication for a little bit. Communication is probably the most important function for the Guilds Game. The Guild Master and subordinates must be in tune with one another, or their entire age is doomed to failure. So, what is the best form of communication, face to face obviously, but since this game is online, that is probably not going happen. Some players do know each other/live near each other and that can be convenient at getting organized. So, what other options for players to communicate? E-mail, Telephone, Scribe, Banner, Personal Message, and last resort and open thread. The second best form of communication is telephonic, voice inflection is important and people tend to understand that. Lastly, is the email/scribe/PM and everything else because there are just the words, the reader’s interpretation of what he/she thinks they are reading. So, how does a GM defeat this obstacle, especially during a pivotal war? GM’s tend to use real time chat rooms to help overcome this obstacle.

This leads me to the main point of this topic. If you do not show to the war chat, you are blind to what is happening and what your role is in the war itself. You may still get orders, but you miss out on the camaraderie and the team building that occurs in the chat room.

The chat room is also effective in delivering real time communication, and that can be critical if an opponent is online when striking. An online player is a threat during a strike, but they cannot defend against all three forms of attack. Best course of action, get your scummer on them, burn cash and temples. Quickly finish with a Parking Lot to immobilize them.

So how often should leaders be communicating with their player subordinate? I find that the more information I put out, the more informed my players are and the more likely they will make themselves available to play regularly. Additionally, I try to plan war chats out in advance and plaster them on the board with as much time as possible for prep. This allows players to plan to have cash, appropriate structures, and maximum turns. It also allows players to keep GMs informed on their personal life and if it will interfere with the attack/defensive plans.
Which leads me to the next point in communication. Much like a successful workplace, a successful guild usually has two way communication. I don’t know your personal life, and honestly, I don’t want to. But, letting your GM know the best times you are available for strike is critical. He needs to be able to plan wars with full participation, with so few players, this is probably the most critical piece. A full turnout for a strike can mean the difference between success, and failure. Additionally, you should confer with your GM before running Rogue and Scum operations, your tactics while laudable in that they show initiative, may inadvertently trigger a guild war, one that you do not want to be on the receiving end of.

As a GM you should keep other leaders informed of what your plans are, they should know your rhythm, and stick with it. For example if the GM wants a war in a week, he should leave the prep work and the target selection to the AGM of War…empower your junior leaders, take some of the work load off of yourself.

When it comes to guiding newer players, communication is essential. Find out where they are from, how long they have played, and what type of realm they might like to play. Then begin to guide them on building the quintessential realm. Don’t just tell them to do something, explain to them why doing things a certain way will make their realm stronger. Don’t be afraid to commend their efforts however. Berating your own team mates will have a negative effect and will likely lead to their leaving your guild if not the game.

Bottom line, if you want your guild to be successful in war; communicate often and clearly. Give clear concise direction and your players will respond in kind.

Return to NPAC Elite