Suggestions for Resets

~ The place to come for help or advice relating to Monarchy

Moderators: Staff, Game Staff

Suggestions for Resets

Postby Dauthi » Tue Dec 10, 2013 5:31 pm

An Idea for the HOF.

Give each age a name. Instead of Guilds 1, Guilds 2, Guilds 3. Allow the King/Queen to name the age. Or take suggestions and do a poll at the end of an age.

Like for example this age could be called the age of "Chaotic Peace" - reason: Leto's won the age, and this age was by far the most "peaceful" age in regards to wars.

Also a 2nd suggestion.

Don't require game types to be dependent on others for reset. We have Guilds/Dom/Conq/bloodbath. Don't reset all the ages together. Don't reset the age until there is a clear winner(instead of its been 2 months time to reset). Right now its taking about 2 months to get a clear winner atleast in guilds but have them reset at different times based on when a winner is clear.
Dauthi
Traveler

Re: Ideas for new HoF achievements

Postby Jokingjoe » Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:32 am

Having a clear winner in bloodbath or conquest is tricky--Seska's controlled the top of Bloodbath almost constantly, but I passed him w/o killing him for a short time and could again with not too much effort.
Jokingjoe
Second Centurion

Re: Suggestions for Resets

Postby Dauthi » Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:54 am

Thus making the age still viable and playable. IF the age is still viable/playable why reset it? if its gotten to the point that one side/faith/guild/player is unstopable then the age should be called and a new one started.
Dauthi
Traveler

Postby Kaz » Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:57 pm

Nobody ever seem to read the stick 'game info' threads, but I 'do' reset guilds based on win scenarios. As long as a thread goes up asking for a reset.

viewtopic.php?f=66&t=1498
Kaz wrote:Game can be reset by agreement of the player-base. Resets will occur after seeing a new thread claiming victory or defeat and calling for a reset. Call should be made in a new thread, do not re-use an old reset thread.

Game may also be reset if no victory has been claimed, the age has been going for a while, and other games are due for resets. This tends to be after 2 months have passed.

Two months is not set in stone, sometime I go longer, other times I go shorter, it tends to be when I've got some free time to reset. At this point I've generally picked a '2 months' reset time after a large war that pretty much ended things anyway.

You want an early reset, then make a new post asking for one. If we're getting close to 2 months and you want a later reset, ask for one. It's too much hassle for me to constantly monitor what's going on in every game (regardles of whether or not I'm playing it) and pick a reset time that's perfectly suitable, hence having a rough schedule.

Basically, I'm trying to say that if you want a reset at a specific moment, for game play reasons, ask for one. Otherwise I'll reset when it's good for me.
Programming is 10% science, 25% ingenuity and 65% getting the ingenuity to work with the science
Wars of Tonan (Monarchy Inspired Miniatures)
Armatures for Sculpting Miniatures
Kaz
Administrator

Postby Dauthi » Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:16 pm

Yeah I knew we could reset early cause I remember that post.

What I'm suggesting is don't tie the games together with resets. So if bloodbath needs reset but Guilds don't. then reset bloodbath. or if Guilds needs it but Dom doesn't then do guilds and leave Dom to continue.
Typically if the most popular game needs reset all games reset.

If we're getting close to 2 months and you want a later reset, ask for one. It's too much hassle for me to constantly monitor what's going on in every game (regardles of whether or not I'm playing it) and pick a reset time that's perfectly suitable, hence having a rough schedule.

With the additional idea that instead of you having to monitor, make it OUR responsibility. The idea is, we know we can request an early one, and by your recent post we can request it to go later, but in everyone head, each age is 2 months(give or take), so after a month or so of building we do some quick jocking around to see if we can't scrap out a good finish cause we know its coming to an end. Or if our faith is dominating we do a sweep to protect ourselves. Then we fight a little bit and give up cause the reset is coming. Instead make it so we HAVE to request a reset, not an option. Either the losing team or the winning teams can request it, and as long as there is no major objections a new age is start for that game.

This may seem trivial, specially with the small community we have, but if you plan to run a contest that might bring in new blood, a 2 month age there might not be a clear winner, and instead of the vets going into auto pilot of fluffing or doing a sweep or faith holywar cause 2 months are close to up which could cause some bad blood we keep fighting it out jocking until there is a clear victor, we give them Kudos and start a new age.

Also, giving ages names was the original idea this one was an after thought.
Dauthi
Traveler

Postby Kaz » Wed Dec 11, 2013 2:25 pm

When I created those 'reset by agreement' sections, it was off the back of discussion about how everybody wanted some sort of end game scenario. I didn't originally include a note giving me the ability to reset after 2 months, but added it when it became clear that nobody could really be bothered to request a reset. Instead, ages started to get stale and people stopped playing.

Back at Evernight, Massacre once auto-reset itself based on an end-game scenario, there were times where the game remained offline for weeks because nobody bothered to let me know that it had reset. I turned off the autoreset functionality, and made a point of reverting back to a regular pattern to be sure that things were not left down to the player base alone.

Two months has been the traditional length of an age for as long as I can remember, it generally works out to be quite a good length, but I have no major problems with extending it to three.

I'd rather avoid too much having to reset each game independently though. For one thing it means I have to find the time to do the resets more often, but it also creates issues with my recent trend of rolling out code changes with the reset. I've gone down the path of making major changes mid-age, and it always leads to complaints. Three months per code roll-out doesn't seem too bad though I guess.
Programming is 10% science, 25% ingenuity and 65% getting the ingenuity to work with the science
Kaz
Administrator

Postby Kaz » Wed Dec 11, 2013 2:36 pm

On the subject of age names, I again have no major issues with the idea. Other than suspecting that it will end up coming down to me to come up with a unique and original name each age, which just makes the whole reset process that little bit more complicated and time consuming.

As the age name (so to speak) is part of the title for each award, I cannot award the medals and achievements without already having a name settled on.

I tried to get players to come up with ideas for age names back when I took over doing the resets at Evernight, and the first age or two went by ok, and then the whole idea lost interest and I was left to come up with something, which gradually converted to not having unique age names.

With guilds it might be easy enough to get an idea from the community (at least to start with), but conquest, domination and bloodbath hardly get any posts in their forums, so I'm not sure where their age names will come from.

Now, as I said, I have no major issues with having names for the ages, as long as they come from the player base and that would include coming up with retrospective names for all previous ages in all games currently in the HoF.

As an idea it's good and creates a little bit more personalisation, but it also creates more work for me. If the community want to come up with age names for the previous ages in the HoF, and come up with a working methodology for naming ages, then I'll apply them. But it needs to come from you guys.
Kaz
Administrator

Postby Jokingjoe » Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:33 am

By far, the majority of the playerbase is in guilds. Being one of the few who plays across all game types, I recognize the priority of the guilds game and, (just me personally) have no qualm with the Guild Age Name being a blanket name for all game types.

Rey and Carlos have always been good about posting up an end of age/superlative thread at the end of an age. I'm sure we could get some good suggestions for age names there (just as there currently is).
Jokingjoe
Second Centurion

Postby Kaz » Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:32 am

I don't recognise any such priority of the Guilds game, especially considering that it only goes back a few ages worth of HoF.

It'll look stupid switching from easily understandable numerical age names in the HoF to suddenly renaming them all based on what happened in the newest game. Either every age gets a name, or none do, so any 'come up with age names' thread needs to come up with ages names for every age going back to 2009.

Also, for the future, they need to be named from the start not the end, so that I can create the HoF rather than have to wait and hope that someone comes up with an age name.
Kaz
Administrator

Postby Aeropagitica » Sun Dec 15, 2013 12:38 pm

Dauthi wrote:Thus making the age still viable and playable. IF the age is still viable/playable why reset it? if its gotten to the point that one side/faith/guild/player is unstopable then the age should be called and a new one started.

I have to disagree. Part of what makes a game truly a contest is the incorporation of a time limit. After all, given enough time, any fortune can be squandered, any fortification broken. Like basketball, football, and to a lesser degree, baseball, these are all games that can indeed become blow-outs, but often times are played to the last seconds, with the match going to whomever is on top in that last second. (or last inning/iteration, in baseball, still bound by a figment of time by turns).
VIVA NIR!
Aeropagitica
Explorer

Postby Carlos Danger » Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:35 pm

Kaz wrote:I don't recognise any such priority of the Guilds game, especially considering that it only goes back a few ages worth of HoF.

It'll look stupid switching from easily understandable numerical age names in the HoF to suddenly renaming them all based on what happened in the newest game. Either every age gets a name, or none do, so any 'come up with age names' thread needs to come up with ages names for every age going back to 2009.

Also, for the future, they need to be named from the start not the end, so that I can create the HoF rather than have to wait and hope that someone comes up with an age name.

Would it have to be back to 2009? I am just not sure if we would have to do so for beyond the guild ages on this site. I am thinking if this is something we want to do as a group we could definitely do the last 5 ages, but not sure if we could go back that far. If so we can start on that now, along with the current age.
TRR - The Red Ranks
Figurehead Extraordinaire
PM for pics
Carlos Danger
Wayfarer

Postby Jokingjoe » Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:06 pm

Speaking of which--where are our Hall of Fame stats? :D *poke poke*
Jokingjoe
Second Centurion

Postby Kaz » Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:06 am

Carlos, We're not going with a Hall of Fame that lists 'Game Name ###' for every age and every game 'except' the guilds game. As it currently stands it might not be as 'interesting' as unique age names, but the Hall of Fame is clear and easy to follow. Either we change everything and all ages in all games (past and present) get unique names, or I'm going to stick with the way I've been doing it which is nice and simple to deal with.
Kaz
Administrator

Postby Kaz » Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:42 pm

Jokingjoe wrote:Speaking of which--where are our Hall of Fame stats? :D *poke poke*

They are up in the HoF, the guilds rankings are also now available in the HoF. Haven't awarded any guilds medals yet though, still need to write some scripts for that. Guild scores are not yet available either.
Kaz
Administrator

Postby Jokingjoe » Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:50 am

That's okay--we'll be looking for Guild medals after THIS age, though :)
Jokingjoe
Second Centurion

Postby Kaz » Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:04 am

Jokingjoe wrote:That's okay--we'll be looking for Guild medals after THIS age, though :)

Guild Scores and Quad Ranks and Scores first, Domination have been waiting for HoF representation for far longer than guilds have. Then we'll start thinking about adding new awards and medals.
Kaz
Administrator

Postby Nymphsong » Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:08 pm

Ever considered tying the age reset to the land mass owned by a faith? For example, a faith has 85% of all available land and 70% built that guilds game resets as it is nearly impossible for a turnabout?

Nymph
Nymphsong
Nymphsong
Explorer

Return to New Players Area (NPA)