New Look Training and Offer Screens (Comments & Criticisms)

~ The place to come for help or advice relating to Monarchy

Moderators: Staff, Game Staff

New Look Training and Offer Screens (Comments & Criticisms)

Postby Kaz » Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:09 pm

Ok, with the latest version of the game-code, we rolled out a couple of changes to some of the main screens.

The biggest change is with the Training screen, where we have totally rebuilt the screen from scratch. The idea was to remove some of the extra content that was irrelevant, and only show you options to train troops that you actually have. Because this change is so big, we kept a link to the old version around. If anybody is using the old version rather than the new one, I'd very much like to hear why. I'd also like to hear any other comments (good or bad) relating to this major change.

The next biggest change is the additional information on the Offer/Tithe screen. A large part of the reason for adding additional content to this screen was because it was so empty before. A single entry box, a few of your kingdom variables, and a submit button always felt like it didn't really need it's own screen. Has adding options to select between max 9's, midi and micro tithing made things better? Or does the lack of needing to pull out a calculator for efficient tithing take an element away from the game? Is the large summary of tithe gifts useful? Or too much information?

Although it's a small change, I'd also like feedback on the additional BRT information on the township screen. I know that from my point of view it's made life quicker, but I've also occasionally built an extra building because I looked at the 'next-BRT' number by mistake.

Please be honest with regards to these changes, and if you can think of additional improvements (of a similar nature) to these screens or others, post that too.
Programming is 10% science, 25% ingenuity and 65% getting the ingenuity to work with the science
Wars of Tonan (Monarchy Inspired Miniatures)
Armatures for Sculpting Miniatures
Kaz
Administrator

Re: New Look Training and Offer Screens (Comments & Criticis

Postby Kaz » Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:41 am

So does nobody have any opinion on these screens? Or is it more than nobody is bothering to read the in-game staff messages? nor check out NPA?
Programming is 10% science, 25% ingenuity and 65% getting the ingenuity to work with the science
Kaz
Administrator

Postby Calen » Sun Jun 23, 2013 6:05 pm

Currently I'm favouring the new setup of both screens. The training screen I'll have to get back to you on, however, since I've never really had to use it in a rush yet. That'll be the deciding factor for me on that screen.
“If you call one wolf, you invite the pack”
Silver Wolves
Calen
Lost Soul

Postby Gili » Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:08 am

Kaz wrote:So does nobody have any opinion on these screens? Or is it more than nobody is bothering to read the in-game staff messages? nor check out NPA?

I like the new training screen. Like Calen says its taken a while to get used to, but its a lot more practical now.

The scum action descriptions are also nice - i was confused a few times last age with what thing to try.
"Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Contactable on gtalk & msn via sshagent @ gmail . com
Gili
Community Admin

Postby Leif » Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:36 am

I find it all quite helpful. Its helping me refresh my memory much faster and I would think makes the game far more accessable for new players. Shortens the learning curve to create a bigger pool of players finding some measures of success which I would think will keep more new players around. Plus I am lazy and like not having to calculate my micro tithe myself :D
-}}}Dulcius ex Asperis >
Gatekeepers...SUCK?
Leif
RAGE >.<

Postby dirtyrat » Thu Nov 13, 2014 7:45 pm

Ha! I haven't tried to train anything so I didn't even look in there and so see the vast change. It doesn't look bad. And if I remember correctly the hire page hasn't been altered. The tithe page I cannot remember its old look. But the new one seems easy enough.

And I SEE I wll have to look around and see what 'centrocs' are. I'm assuming some sort of defensive building. One I see is automatic at level 5.
dirtyrat
Lost Soul

Postby Kaz » Fri Nov 14, 2014 8:24 am

dirtyrat,

As this thread is now over a year old, I've already retired the old versions of these screens in favour of the new ones, so there is no longer really anything to compare between. Essentially the old hire screen used to list every troop at every level, regardless of whether or not you actually had troops to train. The new version condensed the screen to only show what you actually had available to train.

If you don't recall building them or training them, your level 5 Centrocs (vampire fortresses) were probably a gift your kingdom received while offering gold for more land.
Kaz
Administrator

Return to New Players Area (NPA)